A Mobile Nursing Solution
In recent years, the serious consequences of medical error are realized by both healthcare practitioners and the public because of the critical direct injury towards the involved patients and the high indirect costs subsequently all around the world. The utilization of information and communication technology in this field is recognized to have the potential of improving the quality of clinical treatment and reducing medical errors. To achieve safe and high-quality healthcare service, a closed-loop medication administration is an efficient solution since all the processes are monitored and recorded by the system. Among all the clinical staff, nurses play the most integral role in the whole patient care process in hospitals, including medication administration process with the potential of the medical errors to be recognized, handled and prohibited by nursing staff. Mobile nursing system may have the possibility to improve the efficiency and patient safety through the achievement of closed-loop medication administration.
Thus, this chapter explores how a mobile nursing system can be used to achieve close-loop medication administration to deliver high-quality and safe nursing care.
KeywordsMedical error Closed-loop medication administration Mobile nursing system Questionnaire Semi-structured interviews
- Er, M., & Lawrence, E. (2011). Using activity theory to examine information systems for supporting mobile work. Slovenia: University of Maribor.Google Scholar
- Franklin, B. D., O’Grady, K., Donyai, P., Jacklin, A., & Barber, N. (2007). The impact of a closed-loop electronic prescribing and administration system on prescribing errors, administration errors and staff time: A before-and-after study. Quality & Safety in Health Care, 16, 279–284.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Govind, P. & Bhatt, J. (2007). Information technology to reduce medical errors: An overview. Indian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 64(5), 169–173.Google Scholar
- Henderson, D., Lunak, R., Markiewicz, E., & Tobin, C. C. (2013). Closed loop medication use system and method. Google Patents. https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2004001539
- Hwang, Y., Yoon, D., Ahn, E. K., Hwang, H., & Park†, R. W. (2016). Provider risk factors for medication administration error alerts: Analyses of a large-scale closed-loop medication administration system using RFID and barcode. Pharmacoepidemiology & Drug Safety, 25, 1387.Google Scholar
- Wang, X., Luo, Y., Shang, M., Li, Z., Zhang, M., & Sun, Z. (2015). Application of mobile nursing information system in high-quality nursing. International Conference on Education, Management, Commerce and society (EMCS-15).Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2017). Case study research and applications: Design and methods. Oakwood, California: Sage Publications.Google Scholar