Analysis of Sound Absorption and Damping Coefficient for Different Configurations of Aluminum Metal Foam
Aluminum Metal foam has mainly of two types, viz. Open cell and Closed cell. There are many applications of aluminum metal foam viz. — Structural applications, Heat exchangers, Cooling machines, Silencers, Acoustic applications, Flame arresters, Corrosion resistant applications. Metallic foams typically retain some physical properties of their base material as the foam is generally recyclable back to its base material.
In this Paper, we have studied sound absorption analysis of aluminum metal foam under different sound intensities and studied damping coefficient of aluminum metal foam. Compared with the Open cell, Closed cell Al foam and Plain Al sheet, the advantage of using metal foam as a sound absorber is obvious, self-supporting due to its rigidness and strength, fire resistance, low moisture absorption and superior impact energy absorption capabilities. It is expected that metal foams will find a wide range of applications in noise and vibration control of aircraft, automobiles, machinery and buildings.
KeywordsAluminum metal foam Sound absorption Vibration damping Sound decibel
- 2.Baskar B, Ilandjezian R, Sakthivel M Sound absorption and noise reduction properties of syntactic aluminium matrix composite, International Conference on Energy-Efficient Technologies For Automobiles Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences ISSN: 0974-2115Google Scholar
- 3.Raut SV, Kanthale VS, Kothavale BS (2016) Review on Application of Aluminum Foam in Sound Absorption Technology, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology E-ISSN 2277 – 4106, P-ISSN 2347 – 5161Google Scholar
- 5.Kremer K (2004) Metal Foams for Improved Crash Energy Absorption in Passenger Equipment, Fraunhofer USA – Delaware, Center for Manufacturing and Advanced Materials, 9 Innovation Way, Newark, DE 19711Google Scholar
- 7.Ashby MF, Tianjian LU (2003) Metal foams: a survey. Sci China (Series B) 46(6)Google Scholar
- 8.Dr Ing. Jorg Weise Metal foams, the light-weight material of the future, PPT slides. Fraunhofer IFAM, BremenGoogle Scholar
- 9.The free encyclopedia, https://en.wikipidia.org/aluminium metal foam
- 10.Voiconi T, Marsavina L, Linul E, Kov a cik J (2015) Determination of elastic and damping properties for closed-cell aluminium foams using impulse excitation technique, XIIIth Youth Symposium on Experimental Solid Mechanics, June 29th–July 2nd, Dˇeˇc’ın, Czech RepublicGoogle Scholar
- 11.Grover GK (2009) Mechanical vibrations. Nemchand & Bros, Roorkee, pp 80–83Google Scholar
- 13.Wang X, Zhou G (2013) The static compressive behavior of Aluminium foam. Rev Adv Mater Sci 33:316–321Google Scholar
- 14.Banhart J (2007) Metal foams – from fundamental research to applications, Department of Materials Science, Technical University Berlin, Berlin, Germany, Universities Press (India) Limited, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 15.Andrew Kennedy: Porous metals and metal foams made from powders. www.intechopen.com