Tabloid Journalism and Anti-corruption Crusade in Kenya
Brian provides insights on corruption in Kenya noting that it has a historical dimension which spans from the era of the first President Jomo Kenyatta. He discusses anti-corruption tabloid journalism reporting. He focuses on the Goldenberg scandal in which the government paid millions of dollars on what was supposed to be subsidized exports of gold over their foreign currency earnings which were being smuggled from Congo. He also looks at the Anglo Leasing scandal in which plans to buy a sophisticated passport equipment system from France to replace its passport printing ended up in corruption transactions leading to the loss of millions of dollars. Brian discusses the Triton Oil scandal in which there was unauthorized release of oil by the Kenya Pipeline Company using back-door transactions. He concludes that tabloids despite experiencing regular harassments play a crucial role in creating awareness and pressuring the government to prosecute corruption through sensational headlines.
- Africa Files. (2006). When bogus firms wired back Sh1bn. Retrieved from http://www.africafiles.org/article.asp?ID=10731&ThisURL=./kenya.asp&URLName=Kenya.
- BBC. (2004a). Moi ‘ordered’ Goldenberg payment. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3495689.stm.
- BBC. (2004b). ‘Bribery’ halts Kenya graft probe. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3433047.stm.
- BBC. (2006a). Kenyan ‘graft’ minister resigns. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4670120.stm.
- BBC. (2006b). ‘Taped evidence’ in Kenya scandal. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4695354.stm.
- Chepkemei, P. (2012). Bosire fights to keep his job. Retrieved from https://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Bosire-fights-to-keep-his-job-/1064-1397776-10qmlck/index.html.
- Clark, J. F. (2014). The African stakes of the Congo war. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Dixon, R. (2015). Kenya massacre points up country’s weakness against Somali militants. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-kenya-violence-shabab-20150403-story.html.
- Freedom House. (2017). Anxious dictators, wavering democracies: Global freedom under pressure. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2016.
- GAN Integrity. (2017). Kenya corruption report. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/kenya/.
- Harden, B. (1992). Africa: Dispatches from a fragile continent. London: Fontana.Google Scholar
- Hawley, S. (2003). Turning a blind eye. Retrieved from http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/resource/turning-blind-eye#index-02-03-01-00.
- Kahola, B. (2009). The true story of David Munyakei: Goldenberg whistleblower. Nairobi: Kwani Trust.Google Scholar
- Karen, R. (2010). A passion for print. Retrieved from https://archives.cjr.org/feature/a_passion_for_print.php?page=all.
- Karanja, F. (2016). EACC found huge amounts of cash in Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero’s account suspicious. Retrieved from https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000195080/eacc-found-huge-amounts-of-cash-in-nairobi-governor-evans-kidero-s-account-suspicious.
- Kenyan Pundit. (2006). Weekly Citizen articles. Retrieved from http://www.kenyanpundit.com/2006/03/06/weekly-citizen-articles/.
- Kisero, J. (2009). KACC asked to probe $98.7 million Triton oil theft at Kenya pipeline. Retrieved from http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/-/2558/512818/-/rliqydz/-/index.html.
- Kisia, A. (2015). Sh7.6b Triton oil scandal still remains unresolved. Retrieved from https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000149258/sh7-6b-triton-oil-scandal-still-remains-unresolved.
- Mayoyo, P. (2011). Kenyan tycoon in Sh7 billion Triton fraud arrested. Retrieved from https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenyan-tycoon-in-Sh7-billion-Triton-fraud-arrested-/1056-1170212-p9ctbnz/index.html.
- Menya, W. (2015). Devani to be extradited over Sh7.6 billion Triton oil scam. Retrieved from https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Devani-to-be-extradited/1056-3003332-12o5bk4z/index.html.
- Nairobi Chronicle. (2009). Odinga family in corrupt deals. Retrieved from https://nairobichronicle.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/%EF%BB%BFodinga-family-in-corrupt-deals/.
- Ogemba, P. (2016). How Kenya power bosses ‘fixed’ Sh6b tender for Chinese firm. Retrieved from https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000227083/how-kenya-power-bosses-fixed-sh6b-tender-for-chinese-firm.
- Rice, X. (2006). Former vice-president escapes graft charges. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/03/kenya.mainsection.
- Standing, A. (2012). Goldenberg. Retrieved from. https://web.archive.org/web/20070927192447/http://www.issafrica.org/index.php?link_id=5&slink_id=3050&link_type=12&slink_type=12&tmpl_id=3.
- Transparency International Kenya. (2017). East African bribery index 2017. Retrieved from https://tikenya.org/east-african-bribery-index/.
- Transparency International. (2018). Kenya: Corruption perception index 2017. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/KEN.
- Vidija, P. (2016). NPSC sacks 127 vetted traffic cops. Retrieved from https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/12/07/npsc-sacks-127-vetted-traffic-cops_c1469124.
- Wanjala, E. (2017). Switzerland, Kenya sign pact to trace stolen funds. Retrieved from https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/04/29/switzerland-kenya-sign-pact-to-trace-stolen-funds_c1551836.
- Weekly Citizen. (2009). Weekly Citizen’s take on KPC-Triton scam. Retrieved from http://coldtusker.blogspot.ca/2009/01/blog-post_13.html.
- World Economic Forum. (2016). The global competitiveness report 2015–2016. Retrieved from http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-report-2015-2016/.
- Wrong, M. (2009). Its our turn to eat: The story of a Kenyan whistle-blower. London: Harper.Google Scholar