Tabloid Journalism and Corruption in Uganda
Brian discusses corruption in Uganda arguing that the country continues to struggle with financial mismanagement within the various levels of governance. He looks at corruption in the first family focusing on the disappearance of millions of dollars in donor funds from Office of the Prime Minister in 2012 marked for rebuilding the northern part of the country ravaged by a 20-year war. Brian looks at anti-corruption tabloid journalism arguing that they continue to play a critical role in exposing financial mismanagement. He discusses the Global Funds diversion scandal in which millions of dollars were diverted from the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation, and from the Global Fund to Fight Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Brian provides insights on the Red Pepper tabloid that dominates the tabloid journalism print section in the country and its exposure of corruption. He concludes that despite increased level of tabloid journalism that expose corruption, there exists institutional, political, and legislative failure to prosecute grand corruption.
- Abedine, S., & Landau, E. (2014). Ugandan tabloid prints list of ‘homosexuals’. Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/25/world/africa/uganda-anti-gay-law/index.html.
- Allimadi, M. (2014). Former Museveni minister alleges $5 million was stolen monthly from country’s national social security fund; implicates first family. Retrieved from http://www.blackstarnews.com/global-politics/africa/former-museveni-minister-alleges-5-million-was-stolen-monthly-from-countrys.
- Anti-corruption. (2009). Overview of corruption in Uganda. Retrieved from https://www.u4.no/publications/overview-of-corruption-in-uganda/.
- BBC. (2006). Ugandan ‘gay’ name list condemned. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5326930.stm.
- Biryabarema, E. (2017). Ugandan leader makes son his adviser, critics see succession plan. Retrieved from https://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKBN14U10F?sp=true.
- Freedom House. (2017). Freedom of the press 2016. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/freedom-press-2016.
- Gaffey, C. (2016). Uganda wipes out 5,500 ghost workers in corruption crackdown. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/uganda.
- GAN Integrity. (2017). Uganda corruption report. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/uganda/.
- Human Rights Watch. (2013). Letting the big fish swim. Retrieved from https://www.hrw.org/report/2013/10/21/letting-big-fish-swim/failures-prosecute-high-level-corruption-uganda.
- Ifex. (2017). ‘Red Pepper’ staff arrested in Uganda. Retrieved from https://www.ifex.org/uganda/2017/11/24/red-pepper-arrests/.
- Jorgic, D. (2013). Ugandan police raid newspaper over Museveni succession letter. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uganda-politics/ugandan-police-raid-newspaper-over-museveni-succession-letter-idUSBRE94J0F420130520?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews.
- Jurist. (2007). Former Uganda health minister faces embezzlement trial. Retrieved from http://www.jurist.org/paperchase/2007/07/former-uganda-health-minister-faces.php.
- Martini, M. (2013). Uganda: Overview of corruption and anti-corruption. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/answer/uganda_overview_of_corruption_and_anti_corruption.
- Matsiko, H. (2017). Analysis: Messing with Uganda minerals. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.ug/analysis-messing-ugandas-minerals/.
- Mhlambiso, N. (2009). Question & Answers with Red Pepper editor on outing alleged homosexual. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20091029210051/http://www.mask.org.za/article.php?cat=uganda&id=2126.
- Mugerwa, Y. (2010). Uganda: First family ‘too close’ to oil sector. Retrieved from http://allafrica.com/stories/201011110090.html.
- Mugerwa, Y. (2017). President cancels Shs600b mining project. Retrieved from http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/President-cancels-Shs600b-mining-project/688334-3987370-13mo365z/index.html.
- Onyango, L. (2013). Monitor reopens after 10-day siege by police. Retrieved from https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Monitor-reopens-after-10-day-siege-by-police-/-/1056/1867628/-/view/printVersion/-/w3a31tz/-/index.html.
- Opolot, B. (2005). Red and raunchy. Retrieved from http://www.rjr.ru.ac.za/rjrpdf/rjr_no25/Red_and_raunchy.pdf.
- Reliefweb. (2013). ‘Letting the big fish swim’: Failures to prosecute high-level corruption in Uganda. Retrieved from https://reliefweb.int/report/uganda/%E2%80%9Cletting-big-fish-swim%E2%80%9D-failures-prosecute-high-level-corruption-uganda.
- Reporters. (2017). Uganda: Police harass newspapers over stories about parliamentary expenses. Retrieved from https://rsf.org/en/news/uganda-police-harass-newspapers-over-stories-about-parliamentary-expenses.
- Staff Reporter. (2014). Govt moves to curb fraud. Retrieved from https://redpepper.co.ug/govt-moves-to-curb-fraud/.
- Staff Writer. (2018). Police court releases Kirumira on bail. Retrieved from https://redpepper.co.ug/police-court-releases-kirumira-on-bail/.
- Transparency International. (2017). Corruption Perception Index 2017. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/UGA.
- Uganda Today. (2017). Fighting corruption in the judiciary requires strong will—Chief Justice. Retrieved from http://www.theugandatoday.com/news/2017/04/fighting-corruption-in-the-judiciary-requires-strong-will-chief-justice/.
- Vasagar, J. (2004). Ugandan tabloid breaks Aids taboo. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/apr/05/pressandpublishing.aids.
- Vision Reporter. (2007). The actors in the immunization fund scandal. Retrieved from https://www.newvision.co.ug/new_vision/news/1164582/actors-immunisation-fund-scandal.
- Wacha, J. (2012). The familiar faces of corruption. Retrieved from https://ugandaradionetwork.com/s/the-familiar-faces-of-corruption/.
- Walulya, G. (2008). Reporting corruption and media ownership: A comparative study of government and privately owned media report on corruption in Uganda. Retrieved from https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/27708/copymal.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1.