Anti-corruption Tabloid Journalism in Algeria
Brian provides insights into Algeria arguing that the country faces rampant corruption at all levels of government institutions. He looks at the struggles of popular tabloid newspapers and their role in exposing financial mismanagement of public funds. Brian discusses El Watan tabloid newspaper and its impact in exposing corruption. He looks at the East-West Highway scandal initially estimated to cost around US$7 billion but swallowed over US$20 billion with a sizeable amount going to bribes. He also provides insights into the Sonatrach corruption scandal which shook Algeria’s state-owned oil and gas company leading to its Chief Executive Officer Mohamed Meziane and his senior management team being forced out for awarding contracts without competition, after receiving millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks to win contracts. Brian concludes that corruption in Algeria thrives because there is no serious vigilance by anti-corruption institutions and agencies including lack of government commitment.
- Achy, L. (2013a). Algeria held back by corruption, poor planning. Retrieved from https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/business/2013/04/algeria-corruption-growth-effect.html.
- Achy, L. (2013b). The price of stability in Algeria. Retrieved from http://carnegie-mec.org/2013/04/25/price-of-stability-in-algeria-pub-51629.
- Ahmed, O. H. (2015). Algeria jails ex-officials, fines foreign firms in highway graft case. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/algeria-corruption-trial/algeria-jails-ex-officials-fines-foreign-firms-in-highway-graft-case-idUSL5N0XY56320150507.
- Associated Press. (2015). Algeria’s enormous oil corruption scandal finally goes to trial 5 years after discovery. Retrieved from http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/03/15/algeria-enormous-oil-corruption-scandal-finally-goes-to-trial-5-years-after.html.
- BBC. (2006). Pop idol pulled from Algerian TV. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4696866.stm.
- Carnegie. (2013). The price of stability in Algeria. Retrieved from http://carnegie-mec.org/2013/04/25/price-of-stability-in-algeria-pub-51629.
- Cheref, A. (2016). In Algeria, corruption bedevils the economy. Retrieved from https://www.thenational.ae/opinion/in-algeria-corruption-bedevils-the-economy-1.93648.
- Chikhi, L. (2016). Algerian ex-oil boss on trial on corruption charges. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/algeria-trial/update-1-algerian-ex-oil-executives-on-trial-on-corruption-charges-idUSL6N0WH0TN20150315.
- Freedom House. (2017). Algeria: Freedom of the press 2017. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016/algeria.
- Ibrahim, M. Y. (1991). Algeria in ferment. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/26/world/algeria-ferment-special-report-algeria-hope-for-democracy-but-not-economy.html.
- Ibrahim, M. Y. (1995). With 46th Algerian journalist slain, it’s a furtive vocation. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/31/world/with-46th-algerian-journalist-slain-it-s-a-furtive-vocation.html.
- International Federation of Journalists. (2008). Court hands down three month sentences to two journalists in defamation case. Retrieved from https://ifex.org//algeria/2008/12/23/court_hands_down_three_month_sentences/.
- Market, P., & Chikhi, L. (2016). Return of Algerian ex-oil boss hints at revival of reforms. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-algeria-politics/return-of-algerian-ex-oil-boss-hints-at-revival-of-reforms-idUSKCN0X006B.
- Martin, M. (2010). The East-West highway. Retrieved from http://eng.majalla.com/2010/12/article55217659/the-east-west-highway.
- Middle East Eye. (2015). 14 jailed and foreign firms fined $390mn in Algeria’s ‘scandal of the century’. Retrieved from http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/14-jailed-and-foreign-firms-fined-390m-algeria-s-corruption-scandal-century-812542563.
- Middle East Institute. (2014). Reign of Algeria’s Bouteflika marred by graft scandals. Retrieved from http://www.mei.edu/content/reign-algerias-bouteflika-marred-graft-scandals.
- Middle East Online. (2013). Sonatrach scandal grips Algeria ex-energy minister. Retrieved from http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=60683.
- Road Traffic. (2006). East-West highway. Retrieved from https://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/eastwesthighway/.
- Saleh, H. (2010). Algeria starts Sonatrach corruption probe. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/84ba2c36-037a-11df-a601-00144feabdc0.
- The New Arab. (2015). The political roots of Algeria’s corruption scandals. Retrieved from https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/politics/2015/5/18/the-political-roots-of-algerias-corruption-scandals.
- The North Africa Post. (2013). Algeria’s disgraced ex-tycoon Khalifa extradited home from the UK. Retrieved from http://northafricapost.com/4792-algerias-disgraced-ex-tycoon-khalifa-extradited-home-from-the-uk.html.
- Transparency International. (2017). Algeria. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/DZA.
- United States Department of State. (2011). Algeria: 2010 country report on human rights. Retrieved from https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2010/nea/154458.htm.
- World Economic Forum. (2012). Global competitiveness report: 2012–2013. Geneva: World Economic Forum.Google Scholar
- World Highways. (2014). Contract problem for Algeria’s East-West highway. Retrieved from http://www.worldhighways.com/categories/auctions-equipment-supply-servicing-finance/news/contract-problem-for-algerias-east-west-highway/.