Anti-corruption Tabloids in Democratic Republic of Congo
Brian discusses the Democratic Republic of Congo arguing that despite embracing democracy from colonialism, it is engulfed in prolonged civil wars and dictatorships making the fight against corruption difficult to achieve. He notes that corruption is deeply rooted in government institutions. He looks at tabloid journalism practice and corruption exposure. He explores the Kabila regimes noting that even though on numerous occasions they declared their commitment to fighting corruption, their anti-corruption agendas were often manipulated for political reasons. Brian discusses the Glencore mining scandal which revealed corruption in the country’s revenues agencies and state mining companies’ revenues for the state budget amounting to at least US$750 million which went missing over three years from 2013 to 2016. He concludes that even though the tabloid newspapers regularly expose embezzlement, corruption is deeply rooted and is not so much an affliction of the Congolese system as it is the system itself, deeply entrenched in the history of the Congolese state.
- Assembe-Mvondo, S. (2015). National-level corruption risks and mitigation strategies in the implementation of REDD+ in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: An overview of the current situation. Retrieved from http://www.redd-monitor.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/U4-Issue-2015-09-WEB.pdf.
- Burgis, T. (2017). Why Glencore bought out tycoon in Congo. Retrieved from https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/corruption-investigation_why-glencore-bought-out-tycoon-in-congo/43027318.
- Chêne, M. (2010). Overview of corruption and anti-corruption in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from http://www.u4.no/publications/overview-of-corruption-and-anti-corruption-in-the-drc/.
- Clark, J. F. (2014). The African stakes of the Congo war. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.Google Scholar
- DeGregory, P. (2013). Rebuilding failed states: A case study of the DRC. Retrieved from http://bit.ly/1C4aOxB.
- Enterprise Surveys. (2013). Democratic Republic of the Congo 2013. Retrieved from http://www.enterprisesurveys.org/.
- Freedom House. (2014). Congo, Democratic Republic of (Kinshasa). Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2014/congo-democratic-republic-kinshasa.
- GAN Integrity. (2016). DR Congo corruption report. Retrieved from https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/democratic-republic-of-the-congo.
- Githaiga, N. (2012). The 2011 DRC election polls and beyond. Retrieved from http://www.issafrica.org/uploads/SitRep2012-21Jun.pdf.
- Global Security. (2015). DR Congo-corruption. Retrieved from https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/congo/corruption.htm.
- Graves, R. N. (2009). Democratic Congo. Retrieved from http://www.pressreference.com/Co-Fa/Democratic-Congo.html#Comments_1.
- Internews. (2012). Democratic Republic of Congo media and telecoms landscape guide. Retrieved from https://www.internews.org/resource/democratic-republic-congo-media-and-telecoms-landscape-guide.
- Jones, P. (2017a). Glencore redirected over $75 million in mining payments to scandal-hit friend of Congolese President, Global Witness reveals. Retrieved from https://www.globalwitness.org/fr/press-releases/glencore-redirected-over-75-million-mining-payments-scandal-hit-friend-president-global-witness-reveals/.
- Jones, P. (2017b). $750 million in mining revenues fails to reach treasury in Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/750-million-mining-revenues-fails-reach-treasury-democratic-republic-congo/.
- Jones, P. (2017c). Global Witness calls for Glencore’s business partner to explain mining discount in Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/global-witness-calls-glencores-business-partner-explain-mining-discount-democratic-republic-congo/.
- Kabemba, C. (2005). The state of the media in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from https://www.africaportal.org/documents/2106/OP30.pdf.
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation. (2014). Index of African Governance 2014. Retrieved from http://bit.ly/RbX2bf.
- Nzongola-Ntalaja, G. (2004). From Zaire to the Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from http://bit.ly/1MTYaeX.
- Transparency International. (2014). Overview of corruption and anti-corruption in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/answer/overview_of_corruption_and_anti_corruption_in_the_democratic_republic_.
- Transparency International. (2017). Democratic Republic of Congo. Retrieved from https://www.transparency.org/country/COD.
- World Bank. (2016). Doing business: Measuring business regulations. Retrieved from http://www.doingbusiness.org/.