Conclusion: A Golden Age for Investigative Journalism?
Sheila Coronel at Columbia University talks of a new “golden age” of muckraking. Idealistic backers nowadays support groups and networks such as the ICIJ, TBIJ, Propublica, Center for Investigative Reporting, OCCRP, BIRN, EIC, GIJN, IRE, and SKUP. Philanthropists include van Vliet of Adessium, Omidyar of Ebay, the Potter family, and Sigrid Rausing the Tetrapak heiress. Advocacy groups like Greenpeace and Open Democracy are hiring investigative reporters. Donor-driven journalism has its problems, but investigation departments have also blossomed in the mainstream media. They seek distinctive branding in an age of online noise and revenue starvation. Universities are teaching investigative journalism as a new specialist subject, and valuable exposures are getting written. In the present information revolution, the future for investigative journalists could actually be bright.
- 1.Coronel, Sheila. 2016. A Golden Age of Global Muckraking at Hand. Global Investigative Journalism Network. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://gijn.org/2016/06/20/a-golden-age-of-global-muckraking/.
- 2.ICIJ. 2017. Annual Report. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.icij.org/about/corporate/.
- 3.Donors. 2017. Our Supporters. ICIJ website. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.icij.org/about/our-supporters/.
- 4.Keidan, Charles. 2017. Interview: Adessium Foundation. Alliance for Philanthropy and Social Investment Worldwide. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.alliancemagazine.org/interview/interview-adessium-foundation/.
- 5.Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.omidyar.com/people/pierre-omidyar.
- 8.———, 2018. https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/.
- 9.———, 2018. https://www.propublica.org/about/.
- 10.Organised Crime and Corruption Reporting Project. Accessed November 20, 2018. https://www.occrp.org/en.
- 11.Balkan Investigative Reporting Network. Accessed November 20, 2018. http://birn.eu.com/about-birn/donors/pages/4/.
- 12.European Investigative Collaborations. Accessed November 20, 2018. https://eic.network/.
- 13.Global Investigative Journalists Network. Accessed November 20, 2018. https://gijn.org/.
- 14.Kromke, Kathrine, and Anette Stensholt. 2014. SKUP-konferansen i Tønsberg var et mål for Anders Behring Breivik i 2011. NRK News. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.nrk.no/vestfold/500-journalister-samles-i-tonsberg-1.11646698.
- 15.Jackson, Jasper. 2015. Greenpeace Hires Team of Investigative Journalists. Guardian. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/09/greenpeace-hires-investigative-journalists-meiron-jones.
- 16.Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/about.
- 17.Meade, Amanda. 2018. Guardian Australia Reports Its First Profit. Guardian. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/31/guardian-australia-reports-first-profit-2018-annual-results.
- 18.HSBC Files. 2015. HSBC Files Reveal How UK’s Non-dom Concession is Being Exploited. Guardian. Accessed November 20, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/11/hsbc-files-reveal-how-uks-non-dom-tax-concession-is-being-exploited.
- 19.Eriksson, Niklas. 2015. Rausing undviker skatt pa miljoner. Aftonbladet. Accessed November 19, 2018. https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/G16dWV/rausing-undviker-skatt-pa-miljoner.
- 20.Accessed November 22, 2018. https://journalism.berkeley.edu/person/bergman/.
- 21.Grey, Stephen. 2006. Ghost Plane: The Untold Story of the CIA’s Secret Rendition Programme. London: C. Hurst.Google Scholar
- 22.Cobain, Ian. 2013. Cruel Britannia: A Secret History of Torture. London: Portobello Books.Google Scholar
- 23.Lewis, Paul, and Rob Evans. 2013. Undercover: The True Story of Britain’s Secret Police. London: Guardian Faber.Google Scholar
- 24.Rawlinson, Kevin. 2018. Guardian’s Amelia Gentleman Wins Prize for Windrush Reporting. Guardian. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jun/19/the-guardian-amelia-gentleman-paul-foot-award-windrush-generation-reporting.
- 25.Marriage, Madison. 2018. Men Only: Inside the Charity Fundraiser Where Hostesses are Put on Show. Financial Times. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://www.ft.com/content/075d679e-0033-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5.