Design of Time-Frequency Localized Filter Bank Using Modified Particle Swarm Optimization
This paper presents a design of an optimized time-frequency localized, perfect reconstruction filter bank (FB) based on modified Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO). The PSO scheme is modified to add the constraints as vanishing moments (VMs) and perfect reconstruction (PR) during the design of the FB. First, VMs are imposed in order to initialize the coefficients of linear-phase, low-pass-analysis filter. Next, the initialized coefficients, satisfying VM constraint are used in modified PSO (MPSO) scheme to obtain optimized time-frequency localized low-pass-analysis filter. Similarly, a linear-phase, low-pass-synthesis filter is designed by adding PR and VM constraints. The proposed FBs are illustrated with numerical examples and their performances are validated by comparing their time-frequency localization and frequency band errors with those of existing FBs. The proposed MPSO scheme minimizes the frequency band errors and optimizes the time-frequency localization of FBs. This simultaneous time-frequency localization is useful in extracting most effective features from the signal.
KeywordsFilter bank Particle Swarm Optimization Perfect reconstruction Time-frequency localization Vanishing moments
- Daubechies, Ingrid: Ten lectures on wavelets. SIAM (1992)Google Scholar
- Hu, X., Eberhart, R.: Solving constrained nonlinear optimization problems with particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the Sixth World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, vol. 5203–206. Citeseer (2002)Google Scholar
- Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Perth, WA, Australia, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- Sharma, M., Kolte, R., Patwardhan, P., Gadre, V.: Time-frequency localization optimized biorthogonal wavelets. In: 2010 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPCOM), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- Tay, D.B.H.: Balanced-uncertainty optimized wavelet filters with prescribed regularity. In: Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, ISCAS 1999, vol. 3532–535. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar