In-situ Visualization of the Propagation of the Electric Potential in a Human Atrial Model Using GPU
Computational heart-tissue models envelope the solution of non-linear partial and ordinary differential equations. After applying certain discretization methods (finite difference, finite elements) to them for its solution, result in a set of operations between matrices in the order of millions. The outcome of this are programs with high execution times.
The current work simulates a human atrium tissue using the Courtemanche electrical model . The cell pairing is made using the finite difference method and its computational implementation was made using the Armadillo C++ library , for the CPU version and the acceleration was made through the CUDA library  on a nVidia Tesla K40 card.
Additionally the visualization process was made using Paraview-Catalyst , two computing nodes permits that the execution process of the numerical method runs on a node while the other node makes the visualization simultaneously.
A novel process to make atrium human visualizations was implemented, a 200X acceleration was achieved using CUDA and Arrayfire .
KeywordsCUDA Massively parallel computing Paraview In-situ visualization Courtemanche atrial model
- 1.Courtemanche, M.: Ionic mechanisms underlying human atrial action potential properties: insights from a mathematical model. The American Physiological Society (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Sanderson, C., Curtin, R.: Armadillo: C++ linear algebra library (2010). https://www.nvidia.com
- 3.nvidiaGoogle Scholar
- 4.kitware. Paraview catalyst, August 2016Google Scholar
- 5.ArrayFire. https://arrayfire.com/
- 12.Tusscher, K.H.W.J., Noble, D., Noble, P.J., Panfilov, A.V.: A model for human ventricular tissue. Am. J. Physiol., 1573–1589 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Marcotte, C.D., Grigoriev, R.O.: Implementation of PDE models of cardiac dynamics on GPUs using OpenCL. J. Comput. Phys. (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Zhao, C.: Computer simulation implementations and optimization of the right atrium of the heart based on GPU, vol. 5 (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.Kalpana, K.: Parallel visualization of a 3D heart model in an heterogeneous computing environment. Ph.D. thesis, Malaya University (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Rivi, M., Calori, L., Muscianisi, G., Slavnic, V.: In-situ visualization: state-of-the-art and some use cases. PRACE White Paper, pp. 1–18 (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.Moreland, K., Larsen, M., Childs, H.: Visualization for exascale: portable performance is critical. Supercomput. Front. Innovations 2(3), 67–75 (2015)Google Scholar
- 23.Kitware: Paraview catalystGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kitware: ParaviewGoogle Scholar
- 25.Organización Mundial de la Salud. Cardiovascular diseases, September (2016)Google Scholar
- 27.nVidia: About cuda, November 2015Google Scholar
- 28.Yalamanchili, P., et al.: ArrayFire - a high performance software library for parallel computing with an easy-to-use API (2015)Google Scholar
- 29.Osorio, J.: Implementación modelo eléctrico celular cardíacoGoogle Scholar
- 30.kitware: Visualization toolkit (vtk), June 2016Google Scholar
- 31.John Roy, M., Saurabh, K.:. Sinus Node and Atrial Arrhythmias. Circulation - American Heart Association, pp. 10 (2016)Google Scholar
- 32.nvidia: nvidia corporationGoogle Scholar