A Secure Medical Image Watermarking Technique for E-Healthcare Applications
The rapid rise in the exchange of the medical information for remote/continuous diagnosis via internet using different software’s and digital gadgets has ensured better health monitoring. This exchange, however, has given rise to many security issues which may occur due to noise in communication channels, mishandling of devices or unauthorized tempering. Thus, there is need of ensuring privacy, data integrity and copyright protection in order to provide better technological efficiency. For securing medical content digital watermarking techniques have proved to provide better solutions. In this chapter an efficient watermarking technique is proposed for exchanging patient information in an e-healthcare system. A robust watermarking technique using Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) for embedding the secret logo in the transform domain coefficients is presented. The hybrid combination of Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) and SVD ensures very high robustness of the watermark and hence is suitable for copyright applications. The security has been ensured by encrypting the watermark before embedding by chaos encryption. The proposed technique has been analysed in presence of various signal processing/geometrical attacks and shows very high robustness of the watermark. The experimental results obtained prove the efficiency of the technique and as such can be used in e-healthcare.
KeywordsRobust watermark Discrete cosine transform Singular value decomposition Security Encryption E-healthcare
This publication is an outcome of the R&D work undertaken project under the Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India, being implemented by Digital India Corporation and in part is supported by Department of Science and Technology (DST) New Delhi under DST inspire scheme.
- 2.Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Ahad F, Bhat GM (2018). High Capacity and Secure Electronic Patient Record (EPR) Embedding in Color Images for IoT Driven Healthcare Systems. In Internet of Things and Big Data Analytics Toward Next-Generation Intelligence (pp. 409-437). Springer, Cham.Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar C, Singh AK, Kumar P, Singh R, Singh S. SPIHT-based multiple image watermarking in NSCT domain. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Wiley, DOI:10.1002/cpe.4912.Google Scholar
- 9.Ahad F, Loan NA, Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Bhat GM, (2016a) Pixel repetition technique: a high capacity and reversible data hiding method for e-healthcare applications, Intelligent Techniques in Signal Processing for Multimedia Security, Vol. 660, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-44790-2_17.Google Scholar
- 10.Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Akhoon JA, Loan NA (2018) Electronic Health Record hiding in Images for smart city applications: A computationally efficient and reversible information hiding technique for secure communication. Future Generation Computer Systems.Google Scholar
- 11.Parah SA, Ahmad I, Loan NA, Muhammad K, Sheikh JA, Bhat GM. (2019). Realization of an adaptive data hiding system for electronic patient record, embedding in medical images. In Security in smart cities: models, applications, and challenges (pp. 47–70). Springer, Cham.Google Scholar
- 13.Singh L, Singh AK, Singh PK (2018) Secure data hiding techniques: A survey, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Multimed. Tools Appl., Springer DOI: 10.1007/s11042-018-6407-5.Google Scholar
- 14.Natasa Zivic: Robust Image Authentication in the Presence of Noise. springer (2015).Google Scholar
- 15.Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Ahad F, Loan NA, Bhat GM (2015d) Information hiding in medical images: a robust medical image watermarking system for E-healthcare. Multimedia Tools and Applications. 2017 Apr 1;76(8):10599-633. Springer.Google Scholar
- 17.Loan NA, Hurrah NN, Parah SA, Sheikh JA (2017) High capacity reversible stenographic technique based on image resizing and pixel permutation. In Image Information Processing (ICIIP), 2017 Fourth International Conference on (pp. 1-6). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 18.Kumar, C., Singh, A. K., & Kumar, P. (2018). Improved wavelet-based image watermarking through SPIHT. Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, pp. 1-14, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-018-6177-0.Google Scholar
- 23.Singh AK, Kumar B, Singh G, Mohan A (Eds.) (2017). Medical image watermarking: techniques and applications. Springer, ISBN: 978-3319576985.Google Scholar
- 24.Parah S, Sheikh J, Bhat, GM (2012a) On the realization of secure and efficient data hiding system using ISB and LSB technique, Engineering E-Transaction, Malaysia, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.48–53, ISSN: 1823-6379.Google Scholar
- 25.Parah S, Sheikh J, Bhat GM (2013a) High capacity data embedding using joint intermediate significant bit and least significant technique’, International Journal of Information Engineering and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 11, pp.1–11.Google Scholar
- 26.Hurrah NN, Loan NA, Parah SA, Sheikh JA (2017, December). A transform domain based robust color image watermarking scheme for single and dual attacks. In Image Information Processing (ICIIP), 2017 Fourth International Conference on (pp. 1-5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 27.Hurrah NN, Parah SA, Loan NA, Sheikh JA, Elhoseny M, Muhammad K, (2019). Dual watermarking framework for privacy protection and content authentication of multimedia. Future Generation Computer Systems, 94, 654–673. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2018.02.023.Google Scholar
- 29.Ahad F, Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Bhat GM (2017) Hiding clinical information in medical images: a new high capacity and reversible data hiding technique, Journal of Biomedical Informatics, February, Vol. 66, pp.214–230 [online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2017.01.006 (accessed 21 September 2017).
- 30.Kavitha KJ, Shan PB (2018) Joint Digital Water Marking for Medical Images for Improving Security. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 11(2).Google Scholar
- 31.Loan NA, Parah SA, Sheikh JA, Bhat GM (2016b) A robust and computationally efficient digital watermarking technique using inter block pixel differencing, Multimedia Forensics and Security, Vol. 115, Springer DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-44270-9_10.Google Scholar
- 35.LP Feng, LB Zheng, P Cao, in 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT). A DWT-DCT Based Blind Watermarking Algorithm for Copyright Protection, vol. 7, (2010), pp. 455–458. doi:10.1109/ICCSIT.2010.5565101.Google Scholar
- 36.RH Laskar, M Choudhury, K Chakraborty, S Chakraborty, in Computer Networks and Intelligent Computing. Communications in Computer and Information Science. A Joint DWT-DCT Based Robust Digital Watermarking Algorithm for Ownership Verification of Digital Images, vol. 157 (Springer Berlin, Germany, 2011), pp. 482–491. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-22786-8_61.Google Scholar
- 37.Benoraira A, Benmahammed K, Boucenna N (2015) Blind image watermarking technique based on differential embedding in DWT and DCT domains. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2015(1), p.55.Google Scholar
- 40.Thakur, S., Singh, A. K., Ghrera, S. P., & Mohan, A. (2018). Chaotic based secure watermarking approach for medical images. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 1-14. Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-018-6691-0.Google Scholar
- 47.Openi™ Medical Image Database, available at: https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/index.php.
- 48.The USC-SIPI Image Database, available at: http://sipi.usc.edu/database/.
- 49.Zhang H, Wang C, Zhou X (2017) A robust image watermarking scheme based on SVD in the spatial domain. Future Internet, 9(3), 45.Google Scholar
- 50.Yuefeng Z, & Li, L. (2015). Digital image watermarking algorithms based on dual transform domain and self-recovery. International Journal on Smart Sensing & Intelligent Systems, 8(1).Google Scholar