QGraph: A Quality Assessment Index for Graph Clustering
In this work, we aim to study the cluster validity problem for graph data. We present a new validity index that evaluates structural characteristics of graphs in order to select the clusters that best represent the communities in a graph. Since the work of defining what constitutes cluster in a graph is rather difficult, we exploit concepts of graph theory in order to evaluate the cohesiveness and separation of nodes. More specifically, we use the concept of degeneracy, and graph density to evaluate the connectivity of nodes in and between clusters. The effectiveness of our approach is experimentally evaluated using real-world data collections.
KeywordsCluster validity Graph clustering Data analysis
This work has been partly supported by the University of Piraeus Research Center. I. Koutsopoulos acknowledges the support from the AUEB internal project “Original scientific publications”.
- 2.Boutin, F., Hascoet, M.: Cluster validity indices for graph partitioning. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Information Visualisation (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Halkidi, M., Vazirgiannis, M.: Quality assessment approaches in data mining. In: The Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Handbook: A Complete Guide for Practitioners and Researchers. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Giatsidis, C.: Graph mining and community evaluation with degeneracy. Ph.D. thesis (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Theodoridis, S., Koutroubas, K.: Pattern recognition. Academic Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S., Radicchi, F.: Benchmark graphs for testing community detection algorithms. Phys. Rev. 78, 046110 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Yin, H., Benson, A.R., Leskovec, J., Gleich, D.F.: Local higher-order graph clustering. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.van Dongen, S.M.: Graph clustering by flow simulation. Ph.D. thesis, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands (2000)Google Scholar