Sustainable Hospital Transformation and Beyond
Much has been written about improvement and transformation in the NHS and is covered elsewhere in this book. The most significant challenge in the transformation process is ensuring that change or improvement is sustained over time, after the ‘initiative’ has ended. Often, when embarking on a transformation initiative, there can be little, if any, thought put into the sustainability of the transformation. Similarly, there is sometimes inadequate attention paid to the evaluation of the impact of the transformation.
KeywordsSustainable Transformation Collaboration Integration System leadership System thinking
- 1.NHS England. NHS five year forward view. 2014. https://www.england.nhs.uk/five-year-forward-view/. Accessed 29 Mar 2018.
- 2.CQC. The state of care in NHS acute hospitals: 2014 to 2016 findings from the end of CQC’s programme of NHS acute comprehensive inspections. 2017. Available at https://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/20170302b_stateofhospitals_web.pdf. Accessed 20 July 2018.
- 3.NHS England. Next steps on the NHS five year forward view. 2017. Available at https://tinyurl.com/mfl4td7. Accessed 29 June 2018.
- 4.Ham C, Alderwick H, Dunn P, McKenna H. Delivering sustainability and transformation plans from ambitious proposals to credible plans. London: The Kings Fund; 2017. https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/field_publication_file/STPs_proposals_to_plans_Kings_Fund_Feb_2017_0.pdf.Google Scholar
- 5.NHS Improvement. Plan, do study act cycles and the model for improvement. 2018. https://improvement.nhs.uk/resources/pdsa-cycles/. Accessed 28 June 2018.
- 6.National Audit Office. Report by the Controller and Auditor General Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government Financial sustainability of local authorities. 2018. Available at https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Financial-sustainabilty-of-local-authorites-2018.pdf. Accessed 23 Aug 2018.
- 7.Local Government Association. Integrated commissioning for better outcomes: a commissioning framework. 2018. Available at www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/25.70_Integrated%20Commissioning%20for%20Better%20Outcomes_final.pdf. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- 8.The Health Foundation. Submission: public accounts committee inquiry on sustainability and transformation in the NHS. London: The Health Foundation; 2018. Available at https://www.health.org.uk/sites/health/files/Health%20Foundation%20submission%20-%20PAC%20sustainability%20and%20transformation%20in%20the%20NHS.pdf. Accessed 28 June 2018.Google Scholar
- 9.NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement. Improvement leaders’ guide sustainability and its relationship with spread and adoption. 2007. Available at https://www.england.nhs.uk/improvement-hub/publication/improvement-leaders-guide-sustainability-and-its-relationship-with-spread-and-adoption-general-improvement-skills/. Accessed 28 June 2018.
- 10.NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement. Sustainability model and guide. 2010. Available at https://www.england.nhs.uk/improvement-hub/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2017/11/NHS-Sustainability-Model-2010.pdf.
- 11.Dougall D, Lewis M, Ross S. Transformational change in health and care. Reports from the field. London: The King’s Fund; 2018. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/transformational-change-health-care Accessed 10 May 2018.Google Scholar
- 12.Baker GR. The roles of leaders in high-performing health care systems. London: The King’s Fund; 2011. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/articles/roles-leaders-high-performing-health-care-systems Accessed 4 Mar 2018.Google Scholar
- 13.Buck D. Housing: a home for STPs looking to influence the wider determinants of health. Blog. The King’s Fund website. 2018. Available at www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2018/03/housing-stps-wider-determinants-health Accessed on 19 April 2018.
- 14.West M, Armit K, Loewenthal L, Eckert R, West T, Lee A. Leadership and leadership development in health care: the evidence base. London: The King’s Fund & Centre for Creative Leadership; 2015. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/field_publication_file/leadership-leadership-development-health-care-feb-2015.pdf. Accessed 15 Mar 2018.Google Scholar
- 15.Ham C. Whole system transformation requires whole-system engagement. Blog. The King’s Fund Website. 2017. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2017/10/whole-system-transformation-needs-whole-system-engagement. Accessed 1 Apr 2018.
- 16.Savigny D, Adam T, editors. Systems thinking for health systems strengthening. Geneva: Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research. World Health Organisation; 2009.Google Scholar
- 17.Senge P, Hamilton H, Kania J. The dawn of system leadership. Stanf Soc Innov Rev. 2015;13(1):27–33. Available at https://ssir.org/articles/entry/the_dawn_of_system_leadership Accessed 10 Mar 2018.Google Scholar
- 18.NIHR Dissemination Centre. Advancing care: research with care homes Themed Review. 2017. https://www.dc.nihr.ac.uk/themed-reviews/advancing-care-themed-review.pdf
- 19.Timmins N. The practice of system leadership, being comfortable with chao. London: The King’s Fund; 2015. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/practice-system-leadership. Accessed on 4 Apr 2018.Google Scholar
- 20.Hulks S, Walsh N, Powell M, Ham C, Alderwick H. Leading across the health and care system, lessons from experience. London: The King’s Fund; 2017. Available at https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/leading-across-health-and-care-system.Google Scholar
- 22.Snowden DJ, Boone ME. A leader’s framework for decision making. Harv Bus Rev. 2007;85(11):69–76.Google Scholar
- 23.Snowden D. Cynefin framework. 2019. Available at https://cognitive-edge.com/sensemaker/. Accessed 12 Jan 2019.
- 24.Mitchie S, West R, Campbell R, Brown J, Gainforth HL. ABC of behaviour change theories. London: Silverback Publishing; 2014.Google Scholar