Situation Detection on the Edge
Situation Awareness in edge computing devices is necessary for detecting issues that may hinder their computation capacity and reliability. The Situation Detection Mechanism presented in this paper uses Complex Event Processing in order to detect situations where the edge infrastructure requires an adaptation. We designed the Situation Detection Mechanism so as it is modular and can be easily deployed as a Docker container or a set of Docker containers. Moreover, we designed it to be independent of Complex Event Processing libraries and we have shown that it can operate with both the Siddhi and Drools libraries. We evaluated our work with a real-world scenario indicative of the usage of our component, and its capabilities.
KeywordsSituation Awareness Complex Event Processing Edge computing
This work is partly funded by the H2020 PrestoCloud project–Proactive Cloud Resources Management at the Edge for Efficient Real-Time Big Data Processing (732339).
- 2.Amazon (2018). https://aws.amazon.com/autoscaling
- 4.Cohen, N.H., Lei, H., Castro, P., Davis II., J.S., Purakayastha, A.: Composing pervasive data using iQL. In: Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, WMCSA 2002, pp. 94–104 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Haghighi, P.D., Krishnaswamy, S., Zaslavsky, A., Gaber, M.M.: Reasoning about context in uncertain pervasive computing environments. In: Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Smart Sensing and Context, EuroSSC 2008, pp. 112–125. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Endsley, M.: Designing for Situation Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Google Cloud (2018). https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/autoscaler/
- 9.Gray, P.D., Salber, D.: Modelling and using sensed context information in the design of interactive applications. In: Proceedings of the 8th IFIP International Conference on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction, EHCI 2001, pp. 317–336. Springer, London (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.OpenStack (2018). https://docs.openstack.org/senlin/latest/scenarios/autoscaling_heat.html
- 17.Yau, S.S., Liu, J.: Hierarchical situation modeling and reasoning for pervasive computing. In: The Fourth IEEE Workshop on Software Technologies for Future Embedded and Ubiquitous Systems, SEUS 2006/WCCIA 2006, pp. 6-pp, April 2006Google Scholar