A UAV-Collaborative Sensing Method for Efficient Monitoring of Disaster Sites
In this paper, we propose a method that achieves efficient monitoring of the entire of a disaster site, using multiple UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) owned by different organizations and individuals. In our proposed method, UAVs collaboratively operates by sharing information about UAVs operating in the target region via local direct wireless communication. Using information shared with other UAVs, each UAV sets its own moving path so as to move to areas where no UAVs have visited for a long time. In doing so, our proposed method enables to monitor the entire of a disaster site evenly and frequently. We confirmed the effectiveness of our proposed method through simulation experiments.
This research is supported by the Grants-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B)(17K12673) of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Japan, and the Cooperative Research Project of the RIEC, Tohoku University.
- 1.Cesare, K., Skeele, R., Yoo, S.H., Zhang, Y., Hollinger, G.: Multi-UAV explaration with limited communication and battery. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2015), pp. 2230–2235 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, Y., Zhang, H., Xu, M.: The coverage problem in UAV network: a survey. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computing Communications and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT 2014), pp. 1–5 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Franco, C.D., Buttazzo, G.: Energy-aware coverage path planning of UAVs. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference Autonomous Robot Systems and Competitions (ICARSC 2015), pp. 111–117 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Ghaffarkhah, A., Mostofi, Y.: Dynamic networked coverage of time-varying environments in the presence of fading communication channels. ACM Trans. Sens. Netw. 10(3), Article no. 45 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Mirzaei, M., Sharifi, F., Gordon, B.W., Rabbath, C.A., Zhang, Y.M.: Cooperative multi-vehicle search and coverage problem in uncertain environments. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference (CDC-ECC 2011), pp. 4140–4145 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Sujit, P.B., Lucani, D.E., Sousa, J.B.: Joint route planning for UAV and sensor network for data retrieval. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon 2013), pp. 681–687 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Yin, C., Xiao, Z., Cao, X., Xi, X., Wang, P., Wu, D.: Offline and online search: UAV multi-objective path planning under dynamic urban environment. IEEE Internet of Things J. 99, 1 (2017)Google Scholar