Image-Based Human Protein Subcellular Location Prediction Using Local Tetra Patterns Descriptor
Protein subcellular location has a huge positive influence on understanding protein function. In the past decades, many image-based automated approaches have been published for predicting protein subcellular location. However, in the reported literatures, there is a common deficiency for diverse prediction models in capturing local information of interest region of image. It motivates us to propose a novel approach by employing local feature descriptor named the Local Tetra Patterns (LTrP). In this paper, local features together with global features were fed to support vector machine to train chain classifiers, which can deal with multi-label datasets by using problem transformation pattern. To verify the validity of our approach, three different experiments were conducted based on the same benchmark dataset. The results show that the performance of the classification with LTrP descriptor not only captured more local information in interest region of images but also contributed to the improvement of prediction precision since the local descriptor is encoded along horizontal and vertical directions by LTrP. By applying the new approach, a more accurate classifier of protein subcellular location can be modeled, which is crucial to screen cancer biomarkers and research pathology mechanisms.
KeywordsHuman protein Subcellular location prediction Local tetra patterns Multi-label learning
This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61603161), and the Science Foundation of Artificial Intelligence and Bioinformatics Cognitive Research Base Fund of Jiangxi Science and Technology Normal University of China (2017ZDPYJD005) and the Key Science Foundation of Educational Commission of Jiangxi Province of China (GJJ160768).
- 3.Zhou, H., Yang, Y., Shen, H.B.: Hum-mPLoc 3.0: prediction enhancement of human protein subcellular localization through modeling the hidden correlations of gene ontology and functional domain features. Bioinformatics 33(6), 843 (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.Ahmed, F., Hossain, E., Bari, A.H., Shihavuddin, A.S.M.: Compound local binary pattern (CLBP) for robust facial expression recognition. In: IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Informatics, pp. 391–395 (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.Oberoi, S., Bakshi, V.: A framework for medical image retrieval using local tetra patterns. Int. J. Eng. Technol. 5(1), 27 (2013)Google Scholar
- 22.Thangadurai, K.: An improved local tetra pattern for content based image retrieval. J. Global Res. Comput. Sci. 4(4), 37–42 (2013)Google Scholar
- 24.Yang, F., Xu, Y.Y., Shen, H.B.: Many local pattern texture features: which is better for image-based multilabel human protein subcellular localization classification? Sci. World J. 2014(12), 429049 (2014)Google Scholar