Layer Clustering-Enhanced Stochastic Block Model for Community Detection in Multiplex Networks
Nowadays, multiplex data are often collected, and the study of multiplex-network (MN)s’ community detection is a cutting-edge topic. multiplex-network (MN) layers can be grouped by clustering, and there are correlations between network layers that are assigned to the same cluster. Although the differences between network layers entail that the node community membership can differ across the layers, Stochastic-Block-Models (SBM)-based MN-community-detection methods current available are theoretically constrained to assume the same node community membership across the layers. Here, we propose a new SBM-based MN-community-detection algorithm, which surpasses this theoretical constraint by exploiting a two-stage procedure. Numerical experiments show that the proposed algorithm can be more accurate and robust than multilayer-Louvain algorithm, and may help to contain some inference issues of classical monolayer SBM. Finally, results on two real-world datasets suggest that our algorithm can mine meaningful relationships between network layers.
KeywordsMultilayer networks Stochastic block model Community detection Network layer clustering
This work was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFC0809800, 2016QY15Z2502-02, 2018YFC0831000), the Project of National Social Science Fund 15BTQ056, and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (91746205, 91746107, 51438009); The Klaus Tschira Stiftung (KTS) gGmbH, Germany (Grant number: 00.285.2016).
- 7.Han, Q., Xu, K., Airoldi, E.: Consistent estimation of dynamic and multi-layer block models. In: Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 1511–1520 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Barbillon, P., Donnet, S., Lazega, E., Bar-Hen, A.: Stochastic block models for multiplex networks: an application to a multilevel network of researchers. J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. (Stat. Soc.) (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Blondel, V.D., Guillaume, J.L., Lambiotte, R., Lefebvre, E.: Fast unfolding of communities in large networks. J. Stat. Mech. Theory Exp. (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Vallès-Català, T., Peixoto, T.P., Guimerà, R., Sales-Pardo, M.: On the consistency between model selection and link prediction in networks. Mach. Learn. (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Muscoloni, A., Cannistraci, C.V.: Local-ring network automata and the impact of hyperbolic geometry in complex network link-prediction. Phys. Soc. (2018)Google Scholar
- 16.Roethlisberger, F.J., Dickson, W.J.: Management and the Worker: Social Versus Technical Organization in Industry. Harvard University Press, Cambridge (1939)Google Scholar
- 17.Magnani, M., Micenkova, B., Rossi, L.: Combinatorial analysis of multiple networks. Soc. Inf. Netw. (2013)Google Scholar