How Pioneering Managers Strive to Integrate Social Risk Management in Government Debt Collection
This study explores risk management issues in local government-owned enterprises in accordance with the third wave of governance, organization and management logics of Public Administration: the Public Value (PV) approach. However, the coexistence between the emerging PV approach and the more traditional and consolidated ones is often difficult, also because of the resistance of shareholders who may not consider the management of system-level risks as a priority mission for their company. For this reason, we have analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of the Traditional Approach and the New Public Management approach in the public sector management.
KeywordsSocial risk Anti-corruption risk Transparency Public Value approach Local government-owned enterprise
- Abdullah, S. F., Yusof, M. M., & Jambari, D. I. (2016). Risk management model for information systems planning in public sector. Jurnal Pengurusan, 48. Retrieved from https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85009288353&partnerID=40&md5=eef98bbac45ea9ed42d6598a9a1deb7d.
- Abernethy, M. A., & Chua, W. F. (1996). A field study of control system “redesign”: The impact of institutional processes on strategic choice. Contemporary Accounting Research, 13(2), 569–606.Google Scholar
- Ackermann, C., & Marx, B. (2016). Internal audit risk management in metropolitan municipalities. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets and Institutions, 6(3), 45–51. https://doi.org/10.22495/rcgv6i3art7.
- Ammons, D. N., & Canada, B. B. (2000). Tracking performance in local government risk management—A catalog of performance measures. Public Entity Risk Institute. Fairfax: Chapel Hill.Google Scholar
- Asenova, D., Bailey, S. J., & McCann, C. (2013). Managing the social risks of public spending cuts in Scotland. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Retrieved from http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jrf/public-spending-cuts-scotland-full.pdf.
- Bryman, B., & Bell, E. (2011). Business research methods (3rd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bui, H. T., Baruch, Y., Chau, V. S., & He, H. W. (2016). Team learning: The missing construct from a cross-cultural examination of higher education. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 33(1), 29–51.Google Scholar
- Collier, P. M., & Woods, M. (2011). A comparison of the local authority adoption of risk management in England and Australia. Australian Accounting Review, 21(2), 111–123.Google Scholar
- Denhardt, J. V., & Denhardt, R. B. (2003). The new public service: Serving, not steering (3rd ed.). Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.Google Scholar
- Denhardt, J. V., & Denhardt, R. B. (2015). The new public service revisited. Public Administration Review, 75(5), 664–672.Google Scholar
- de Souza Briggs, X. (2008). Democracy as problem solving. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review, 14(4), 532–550.Google Scholar
- Esmark, A. (2017). Maybe it is time to rediscover technocracy? An old framework for a new analysis of administrative reforms in the governance era. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 27(3), 501–516. https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muw059.
- European Commission. (2014). Report from the commission to the council and the European Parliament. EU anti-corruption report. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/e-library/documents/policies/organized-crime-and-human-trafficking/corruption/docs/acr_2014_en.pdf.
- Fone, M., & Young, P. C. (2000). Managing risk in public organizations. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Freeman, R. E. (1984). Strategic management: A stakeholder approach (Vol. 1). Boston: Pitman. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.263511.
- Gibbs, G. R. (2007). Thematic coding and categorizing. In G. R. Gibbs (Ed.), Analyzing qualitative data (pp. 38–56). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Gillham, B. (2005). Research interviewing: The range of techniques. A practical guide. New York: McGraw-Hill Education.Google Scholar
- Hinna, A., Gnan, L., & Monteduro, F. (2016). Governance and performance in public and non-profit organizations. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing. Retrieved from http://www.worldcat.org/title/governance-and-performance-in-public-and-non-profit-organizations/oclc/949930469.
- Janesick, V. J. (1994). The dance of qualitative research design: Metaphor, methodolatry, and meaning. In N. K. Denzin & Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research (pp. 209–219). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Jones, L. P. (2009). Public enterprise in less-developed countries. Cambridge: Cambridge Books.Google Scholar
- Ke, Y., Wang, S., & Chan, A. P. C. (2010). Risk allocation in public-private partnership infrastructure projects: Comparative study. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 16(4), 343–351. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000030.Google Scholar
- Kettl, D. F. (2002). The transformation of governance: Public administration for twenty-first century America. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Krueger, A. O. (1974). The political economy of the rent-seeking. American Economic Review, 64(3), 291–303. https://doi.org/10.2307/1808883.
- Lambsdorff, G., & Johann. (2005). Consequences and causes of corruption: What do we know from a cross-section of countries? Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Volkswirtschaftliche Reihe. Retrieved from https://ideas.repec.org/p/zbw/upadvr/v3405.html.
- Locke, R., Leach, C., Kitsell, F., & Griffith, J. (2011). The impact on the workload of the ward manager with the introduction of administrative assistants. Journal of Nursing Management, 19(2), 177–185.Google Scholar
- McCrae, M., & Balthazor, L. (2000). Integrating risk management into corporate governance: The Turnbull guidance. Risk Management, 2(3), 35–45.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. H. (1995). Creating public value: Strategic management in government. In Classics of public administration (pp. 549–561). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. Retrieved from http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674175587.
- Moss, D. A. (2004). When all else fails: Government as the ultimate risk manager. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. Retrieved from http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674016095.
- OECD. (2014). Boosting integrity and fighting corruption. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Osborne, S. P. (2010). The new public governance? Emerging perspectives on the theory and practice of public governance. New York: Routledge. Retrieved from https://books.google.it/books/about/The_New_Public_Governance.html?id=YFgp5LXDC-IC&redir_esc=y.
- Otley, D., & Berry, T. (1998). Case study research in management accounting and control. Accounting Education, 7, 105–128.Google Scholar
- Parker, L. D. (2012). Qualitative management accounting research: Assessing deliverables and relevance. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 23(1), 54–70.Google Scholar
- Pollitt, C., & Bouckaert, G. (2011). Public management reform: A comparative analysis—New public management, governance, and the neo-Weberian state. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Salvato, C., & Corbetta, G. (2013). Transitional leadership of advisors as a facilitator of successors’ leadership construction. Family Business Review, 26(3), 235–255.Google Scholar
- Silver, H. (1995). Social exclusion and social solidarity: Three paradigms. Hilary International Labour Review, 1336(5). Retrieved from https://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/intlr133&div=51&g_sent=1&casa_token=&collection=journals.
- Silverman, D. (2013). Doing qualitative research: A practical handbook. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Stake, R. E. (2013). Multiple case study analysis. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Vincent, J. (1996). Managing risk in public services: A review of the international literature. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 9(2), 57–64.Google Scholar
- Wong, S. C. Y. (2004). Improving corporate governance in SOEs: An integrated approach. Corporate Governance International, 7(2), 11.Google Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2017). Case study research and applications: Design and methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Zardari, S. (2009). Software risk management. In Proceedings—2009 International Conference on Information Management and Engineering, ICIME 2009 (pp. 375–379). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIME.2009.138.