Managing Disruptions and the Ripple Effect in Digital Supply Chains: Empirical Case Studies
This chapter studies the impact of accelerating digitalization on supply chain risk management. The interrelationships between digital technologies and supply chain disruption risk are analyzed using multiple case studies from various industries. The empirical analysis guided a conceptual framework based on extant theory and specific hypotheses. The chapter concludes with a discussion of research opportunities for future study. In particular, the discussion involves perspectives and future transformations that can be expected in the transition toward cyber-physical supply chains.
KeywordsDigital supply chain Supply chain risk management Supply chain resilience Industry 4.0 Big data analytics Ripple effect
- Ben-Daya, M., Hassini E., & Bahroun Z. (2018). Internet of things and supply chain management: A literature review. International Journal of Production Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1402140.
- Dolgui, A., Ivanov, D., Potryasaev, S., Sokolov, B., Ivanova, M., Werner, F. (2019a). Blockchain-oriented dynamic modelling of smart contract design and execution control in the supply chain. International Journal of Production Research, in press.Google Scholar
- Ivanov, D., & Dolgui, A. (2019). Low-Certainty-Need (LCN) Supply Chains: A new perspective in managing disruption risks and resilience. International Journal of Production Research, in press.Google Scholar
- Ivanov, D., Dolgui, A., & Sokolov, B. (2019). The impact of digital technology and Industry 4.0 on the ripple effect and supply chain risk analytics. International Journal of Production Research, 57(3), 829–846.Google Scholar
- Ivanov, D., Sokolov, B., Dolgui, A., Werner, F., & Ivanova, M. (2016). A dynamic model and an algorithm for short-term supply chain scheduling in the smart factory Industry 4.0. International Journal of Production Research, 54(2), 386–402.Google Scholar
- Liao, Y., Deschamps, Y., de Freitas, E., Loures R., & LFP Ramos. (2017). Past, present and future of Industry 4.0—a systematic literature review and research agenda proposal. International Journal of Production Research, 55(12), 3609–3629.Google Scholar
- Panetto, H., Iung, B., Ivanov, D., Weichhart, G., Wang, X. (2019). Challenges for the cyber-physical manufacturing enterprises of the future. Annual Reviews in Control. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcontrol.2019.02.002.
- Priore, P., Ponte, B., Rosillo, R., & de la Fuente, D. (2018). Applying machine learning to the dynamic selection of replenishment policies in fast-changing supply chain environments. International Journal of Production Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1552369.
- Rossit, D. A., Tohmé, F., & Frutos, M. (2018) Industry 4.0: Smart scheduling. International Journal of Production Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1504248.
- Saberi, S., Kouhizadeh, M., Sarkis, J., & Shen, L. (2018). Blockchain technology and supply chain management. International Journal of Production Research.Google Scholar