Renewable Energy in Kazakhstan: Potential and Challenges
Kazakhstan enjoys a relatively high potential in renewable energy sources of wind and solar, thanks to its favorable geographic conditions, vast surface area with high sun radiation, as well as windy conditions of the country. Following the independence of the country in 1991, Kazakhstan began diversifying its energy supply sources with an aim of harvesting its significant renewable energy potential. Several legislations have been adopted in terms of regulations of the renewable energy market and getting aligned with similar international practices.
- Akorda.kz. (2012). “‘Kazakhstan—2050’ Strategy.” New Political Course of Established State [ER]. Access mode: ‘Kazakhstan-2050’ Strategy: New Political Course of Established State. Retrieved from http://www.akorda.kz/ru/. Last accessed August 20, 2018.
- Aliyeva, K. (2018). “Kazakhstan to Build Wind Power Plant.” Retrieved from https://www.azernews.az/region/135234.html. Last accessed August 20, 2018.
- Astana Times. (2018). “58 Enterprises in Kazakhstan Utilise Renewable Energy, Says Energy Minister.” Retrieved from https://astanatimes.com/2018/06/58-enterprises-in-kazakhstan-utilise-renewable-energy-says-energy-minister/. Last accessed August 23, 2018.
- Chikanayev, S. (2016). “Financing Renewable Energy Projects in Kazakhstan: Key Legal Challenges.” The Grata Law firm. Retrieved from http://www.gratanet.com/uploads/user_11/files/%5BGRATA%5D%20Financing%20of%20Renewable%20Energy%20Projects%20in%20Kazakhstan%20-%20Key%20Legal%20Challenges%20(March,%202016).pdf. Last accessed August 18, 2018.
- DBK. (2014). “Review on Electricity Sector on Kazakhstan. Development Bank of Kazakhstan (DBK).” Retrieved from http://www.kdb.kz/file.php?id_file=5054. Last accessed August 20 2018.
- Eni.com. (2018). “ENI to Develop in Kazakhstan Its First Large-Scale Wind Farm Abroad.” Retrieved from https://www.eni.com/docs/en_IT/enicom/media/press-release/2018/06/pr-eni-badamsha.pdf. Last accessed August 18, 2018.
- Export.gov. (2017). “Kazakhstan—Electrical Power Generation.” The U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration Export.gov. Retrieved from https://www.export.gov/article?id=Kazakhstan-Electrical-Power-Generation. Last accessed August 19, 2018.
- IEA.org. (2017). “Kazakhstan Energy Factsheet.” International Energy Agency. Retrieved from http://www.iea.org/countries/non-membercountries/kazakhstan/Kazakhstan_EU4Energy_Factsheet.pdf. Last accessed August 16, 2018.
- Irgibayev, A., and Karabayeva, A. (2017). “Improvement of Renewable Energy Support Policies in Kazakhstan.” Graduate School of Public Policy Nazarbayev University. Retrieved from https://nur.nu.edu.kz/bitstream/handle/123456789/2426/POLICY%20ANALYSIS%20EXERCISE.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Last accessed August 17, 2018.
- Kaiyrbekov, A. (2016). “Water Use Key to Launch of Kazakhstan’s Transition to Green Economy.” The Astana Times. https://astanatimes.com/2016/03/water-use-key-to-launch-of-kazakhstans-transition-to-green-economy/. Last accessed November 30, 2018.
- Karatayev, Marat, and Clarke, M. L. (2016). “A Review of Current Energy Systems and Green Energy Potential in Kazakhstan.” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews no. 55: 491–504. Retrieved from http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/32575/1/karatayev%20and%20clarke%202016%20energy%20review.pdf. Last accessed August 16, 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kashkinbekov, A. (2017). “Visions for a Clean Energy Future. European Union Energy Day Clean Energy Solutions for the Buildings of the Future Astana EXPO.” Retrieved from http://euenergyday.eu/expo2017/doc/Presentations/Presentation_A.Kashkinbekov.pdf. Last accessed August 15, 2018.
- Kazakhstan Green Energy. (2017). Rio+20 Summit. Retrieved from https://www.kzgreenenergy.com/rio20-summit/. Last accessed August 20, 2018.
- Lewis, J. (2007). “A Comparison of Wind Power Industry Development Strategies in Spain, India and China. Prepared for the Center for Resource Solutions.” http://www.resourcesolutions.org. Last accessed October 4, 2018.
- Medium.com. (2017). “Kazakhstan Could Become a PV Solar Energy Powerhouse.” Retrieved from https://firstname.lastname@example.org/kazakhstan-could-become-a-pv-solar-energy-powerhouse-6f682a5efa07. Last accessed August 16, 2018.
- Petersen, E. (1999). Wind Power Potential of the Djungar Gate and Chilik Corridor. Copenhagen, Denmark: Technical University of Denmark.Google Scholar
- Rfc.kegoc.kz. (2018). “Prices and Rates on Renewable Energy Technology. Financial Settlement Center of Renewable Energy LLP.” Retrieved from https://rfc.kegoc.kz/en/vie/prices/fixed-rates. Last accessed August 17, 2018.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan. (2017). “Towards a Green Economy: Kazakhstan Has Started the Second, Practical Phase to Establish a Strategic Environmental Assessment National Framework.” Retrieved from http://mfa.gov.kz/en/geneva/content-view/towards-a-green-economy-kazakhstan-has-started-the-second-practical-phase-to-establish-a-strategic-environmental-assessment-national-framework. Last accessed August 23, 2018.
- The National Bank of Kazakhstan. (2014). “The Concept for Transition of the Republic of Kazakhstan to ‘Green Economy’.” The National Bank of Kazakhstan. Retrieved from http://www.nationalbank.kz/cont/publish488539_24140.pdf. Last accessed March 9, 2019.
- UNDP. (2017). “Kazakhstan: DREI—Derisking Renewable Energy Investment.” United Nations Development Program (UNDP). Retrieved from http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librarypage/environment-energy/low_emission_climateresilientdevelopment/derisking-renewable-energy-investment/drei-kazakhstan.html. Last accessed August 23, 2018.
- United Nations. (2010). Astana “Green Bridge” Initiative: Europe-Asia-Pacific Partnership for the Implementation of “Green Growth.” Retrieved from http://gbpp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MCED6_13E_AGBI.pdf. Last accessed August 19, 2018.
- World Bank. (2017). Energy Sector Management Assistance Program Annual Report 2017 (English). Energy Sector Management Assistance Program. Washington, DC: World Bank Group.Google Scholar
- Zoinet.com. (2018). “Kazakhstan Climate Facts and Policy.” Zoi Environment Network. Retrieved from https://zoinet.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CC-Kazakhstan-web-2016.pdf. Last accessed August 22, 2018.