Myanmar: Initial Improvements Facing Setbacks
This chapter reports the findings of an empirical study into legislative oversight in Myanmar, with particular emphasis on the Hluttaw’s oversight of the anti-corruption framework. The study evaluated the impact of contextual factors, external oversight institutions and internal oversight tools using data collected from interviews with key national stakeholders. Our research highlights the difficulty of entrenching a system of oversight in a controlled political culture that restricts the application of formal internal and external oversight tools and is reluctant to engage in the specific issue of corruption. The chapter concludes by identifying recommendations for action with the objective of strengthening oversight and anti-corruption measures in Myanmar.
- Amnesty International (2017), Myanmar 2016/2017, accessed at https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/asia-and-the-pacific/myanmar/report-myanmar/
- Article 19 (2016), ‘Myanmar: Journalist investigating illegal logging killed’, 14 December 2016, accessed at https://www.article19.org/resources.php/resource/38596/en/myanmar:-journalist-investigating-illegal-logging-killed
- Asia Foundation (2014), Myanmar 2014 Civil Knowledge and Values in a Changing Country accessed at https://asiafoundation.org/resources/pdfs/MyanmarSurvey20141.pdf.
- BBC (2015), ‘Myanmar’s 2015 landmark elections explained’, 3 December 2015, accessed at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33547036
- BBC (2016), ‘Myanmar finance minister nominee Kyaw Win has fake degree, 23 March 2016, accessed at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35876229
- BTI (2016) Myanmar Country Report Transformation Index 2016, available from https://www.bti-project.org/en/reports/country-reports/detail/itc/mmr/
- Economist, The (2017). A No-Talking Shop, London: UK, 3 June 2017.Google Scholar
- Eleven Myanmar (2016), ‘Controversy as Myanmar govt sacks Deputy Agriculture Minister’, 20 November 2016, accessed at http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/local/6708
- Freedom House (2017), Myanmar Profile, Freedom of the Press 2017, accessed at https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2017/myanmar.
- Frontier Myanmar (2016), ‘Deputy Minister for Agriculture fired after cabinet dispute’, 21 November 2016, accessed at https://frontiermyanmar.net/en/deputy-minister-for-agriculture-fired-after-cabinet-dispute
- Frontier Myanmar (2017), ‘NLD official gets six month sentence in latest Telco Law case’, 07 April 2017, accessed at https://frontiermyanmar.net/en/nld-official-gets-six-month-sentence-in-latest-telco-law-case
- Global Witness (2015). Jade: Myanmar’s “Bid State Secret” London, Global Witness.Google Scholar
- Hendrix, C. & Noland, M. (2015), Myanmar: Cross-Cutting Governance Challenges, East-West Center Working Papers, Innovation and Economic Growth SeriesGoogle Scholar
- Human Rights Watch (2017), ‘Burma: Repeal Section 66(d) of the 2013 Telecommunications Law: Joint Statement by 61 Human Rights Organizations’, 29 June 2017, accessed at https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/06/29/burma-repeal-section-66d-2013-telecommunications-law
- International Budget Partnership (2017) Open Budget Survey 2015: and December 2016 Update Available at https://www.internationalbudget.org/opening-budgets/open-budget-initiative/open-budget-survey/country-info/?country=mm
- Lienert, I (2015). ‘Parliamentary Budgeting and Transparency in ASEAN Member States’, Working Paper based on outcome of AIPA capacity building – AIPA Secretariat, Indonesia, March 2015. Available at http://www.aipasecretariat.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2015-October-Parliamentary-Budgeting-and-Transparency-Publication.pdf.
- Mizzima (2016), ‘Myo Yan Naung Thaung from Bayda Institute arrested under section 66(d) of Communications Law’, 04 November 2016, accessed at http://www.mizzima.com/news-domestic/myo-yan-naung-thaung-bayda-institute-arrested-under-section-66d-communications-law
- Myanmar Times (2016), ‘NLD researcher formally charged with defamation over Facebook critique’, 18 November 2016, accessed at https://www.mmtimes.com/national-news/yangon/23764-nld-researcher-formally-charged-with-defamation-over-facebook-critique.html
- OECD (2014), OECD Open Government Reviews: Myanmar, Available at https://www.oecd.org/mena/governance/Open-Gov-Review-Myanmar.pdf.
- Reuters (2016), ‘Myanmar reporter who covered logging industry found beaten to death’, 13 December 2016, accessed at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-journalist/myanmar-reporter-who-covered-logging-industry-found-beaten-to-death-idUSKBN14218M
- Stapenhurst, F. (2011). Legislative oversight and curbing corruption: Parliamentarianism and presidentialism revisited (unpublished thesis). Canberra, Australia: Australian National University.Google Scholar
- The Guardian (2015), ‘Final Myanmar results show Aung San Suu Kyi’s party won 77% of seats’, 23 November 2015, accessed at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/23/final-myanmar-results-show-aung-san-suu-kyis-party-won-77-of-seats
- The Irrawaddy (2016), ‘Deputy Minister dismissal sends waves through political circles’, 21 November 2016, accessed at https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/deputy-ministers-dismissal-sends-waves-political-circles.html
- The Oxford Business Group (2017), New Myanmar government plans to focus on democratic and market reforms, The Report: Myanmar 2017, accessed at http://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/analysis/one-year-new-government%E2%80%99s-plans-focus-democratic-and-market-reforms
- Transparency International (2017a), Corruptions Perceptions Index 2016, 25 January 2017, accessed at https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2016#table
- Transparency International (2017b), People and Corruption: Asia Pacific, Global Corruption Barometer, February 2017, accessed at file:///C:/Users/gabrielat/Downloads/2017_GCB_AsiaPacific_EN.pdfGoogle Scholar
- VOA (2016), ‘Myanmar Reporter Killed While Investigating Illegal Logging’, 13 December 2016, accessed at https://www.voanews.com/a/myanmar-journalist-killed-investigating-illegal-logging/3634091.html
- What’s In Blue (2017), Consultations on Myanmar, 30 August 2017, accessed at http://www.whatsinblue.org/2017/08/consultations-on-myanmar.php