Evolutionary Revision Model for Improvement of Computer Science Curriculum
The onrush of information technology raises the task of revising curricula of specialties in computer science. The objectives of the study are to define the requirements and develop a model of the curriculum revision system in computer science.
Subject of the research: curriculum revision system in computer science.
Research methods: review and analysis of scientific publications, modeling of complex systems, questionnaires, expert method of evaluation.
The model of the revision system of the curriculum was created in accordance with the modern requirements of employers to the competence of university graduates in computer sciences. The architecture of this system is based on the research on the functionality of such elements as the Top Competences (required in the labor market), Employers’ Requirements, Learning outcomes (expected results of teachers) and the formation of the ICT curriculum. The expert method is used to assess the quality of the revision model of the curriculum on the example of a specialty in the field of computer science.
Results of the research: the requirements of the labor market to the competence of university graduates were investigated, systematized and formulated in the field of computer science. These requirements are the basis for the formation of a new or improved university curriculum.
KeywordsCurriculum in computer science Curriculum revision model Requirements for the competences Learning outcomes Expert method
- 1.Eggink, M.E.: The need for a change in roles of universities as participants in innovation systems. In: Soliman, K.S. (eds.). 28-th International Business-Information-Management-Association Conference, pp. 68–77 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Tomar, T.S.: Entrepreneurship development and innovation management: key connections. In: Grant, K.A., Wise, S. (eds.) 4th International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, pp. 263–271 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Law of Ukraine “On Education”. http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2145-19
- 5.Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education”. http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18
- 6.National Qualifications Framework. http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1341-2011-п
- 7.Standards of Higher Education in the field of Computer Science (projects). https://mon.gov.ua/ua/osvita/visha-osvita/naukovo-metodichna-rada-ministerstva-osviti-i-nauki-ukrayini/proekti-standartiv-vishoyi-osviti
- 8.MSIS 2016 Global Competency Model for Graduate Degree Programs in Information Systems. https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/education/msis2016.pdf
- 9.Revising the MSIS Curriculum: Specifying Graduate Competencies. http://cis.bentley.edu/htopi/MSIS2016_Draft_03-21-2016_Part1.pdf
- 10.Kravtsov, H., Kobets, V.: Implementation of stakeholders’ requirements and innovations for ICT curriculum through relevant competences. In: Ermolayev, V., et al. (eds.) Proceedings of the 13-th International Conference ICTERI 2017, Kyiv, Ukraine, 15–18 May 2017, pp. 414–427. CEUR-WS.org/Vol-1844, ISSN 1613-0073 (2017). http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1844/10000414.pdf
- 11.Establishing Modern Master-level Studies in Information Systems. https://mastis.pro
- 12.Moergestel, L., Keijzer, A., Stappen, E.: Tips and pitfalls for blended learning: redesigning a CS curriculum using IT. In: Ermolayev, V., et al. (eds.) Proceedings of the 12-th International Conference ICTERI 2016, Kyiv, 21–24 June 2016, pp. 273–283. CEUR-WS.org/Vol-1614, ISSN 1613-0073 (2016). CEUR-WS.org/Vol-1614/ICTERI-2016-CEUR-WS-Volume.pdf
- 13.Kobets, V., Weissblut, A.: Nonlinear dynamic model of a microeconomic system with different reciprocity and expectations types of firms: stability and bifurcations. In: CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 1614, pp. 502–517 (2016). (Indexed by: Sci Verse Scopus, DBLP, Google Scholar). CEUR-WS.org/Vol-1614/ICTERI-2016-CEUR-WSVolume.pdf
- 14.e-Competence Framework 3.0: A common European Framework for ICT Professionals i all industry sectors (2014). http://www.ecompetences.eu
- 16.Legendre, P.: Coefficient of concordance (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Kravtsov, H., Kobets, V.: Model of the curriculum revision system in computer science. In: Ermolayev, V., et al. (eds.): ICT in Education, Research and Industrial Applications. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference Workshops ICTERI 2018, Kyiv, Ukraine, 14–17 May 2018, vol. II, pp. 488–500. CEUR-WS.org/Vol-2104, ISSN 1613-0073 (2018). http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2104/paper_253.pdf