Design and Fabrication of Deformable Soft Gripper Using IPMC as Actuator
This chapter encapsulates the design and fabrication paradigm of a soft compliant ionic polymer metal composite (IPMC) actuated three-finger gripper material to polydimethyl siloxane (PDMS). The PDMS based IPMC actuated gripper has been designed in such a manner that it is capable of handling macro and micro objects. The selection of PDMS based finger for gripper design was ensured through experiments from four different PDMS finger designs. Maximum compliance of the PDMS finger is desirable for the gripper, keeping this as a criterion, one of the four fingers, has been selected for the presently reported three-finger gripper. In human hand, the proximal, intermediate and distal phalanges activate with each other in a synergistic way through inter-phalangeal articulations. This phenomenon is inculcated using PDMS for compliance in the finger and IPMC as muscle actuation. Overall specification of three finger gripper is reported in this chapter.
The authors would like to acknowledge all the sources from whom, the information contained in this presentation were collated. Specifically, they acknowledge Indo-US Centre for Research Excellence on Fabrionics at IIEST-Shibpur and Chemistry and Biomimetics Laboratory, CSIR-CMERI Durgapur for providing financial support and encouragement.
- 1.Shahinpoor, M., Bar-Cohen, Y., Xue, T., Simpson, J.O., Smith, J.: Ionic polymer-metal composites (IPMC) as biomimetic sensors and actuators. In: Proceedings of SPIE’s 5th Annual International Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, March 1998Google Scholar
- 2.Shahinpoor, M., Kim, K.J.: Ionic Polymer–Metal Composites: I. Fundamentals. Institute of Physics Publishing Smart Materials and Structures, pp. 819–833 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhattacharya, S., Bepari, B., Bhaumik, S.: IPMC-actuated compliant mechanism-based multifunctional multifinger microgripper. Mech. Based Design Struct. Mach. 42(3), 312–325 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Bhattacharya, S., Bepari, B., Bhaumik, S.: Novel approach of IPMC actuated finger for micro-gripping. In: 2015 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), pp. 1–6. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 6.Bhattacharya, S., Bepari, B., Bhaumik, S.: Soft robotic finger fabrication with PDMS and IPMC actuator for gripping. In: Sponsored SAI Computing Conference 2016, pp. 403–408. IEEEGoogle Scholar