Sex Addiction in Contemporary African Fiction: An Analysis of Selected Works of Short Fiction
The chapter discusses the concept of sex addiction in the African literary world. Caught in the attempt to explore multiple viewpoints towards sex addiction is puritanism in African society and how it shapes the authors’ narratives in the works under review. The chapter analyses selected short stories from five different anthologies of short fiction by contemporary African writers. The works in the anthologies are marked by a complexity of themes, ranging from sexuality through racism to social injustice with addiction coming out subtly in some more than it does in others. The chapter narrows its focus from the representation of sex addiction to specific areas of interest, such as gender, age, and morality.
- African Writers Trust. 2013. Suubi: A Collection of Short Stories and Poems from the African Writers Trust’s Creative Writing Programme Produced in Association with the British Council. Kampala: AWT.Google Scholar
- Carnes, P. 2006. Women and Sex Addiction. Counsellor 7: 34–40.Google Scholar
- Gakuru, W. 2014. Transaction. In Sext Me Poems and Stories, ed. K. Hampton, A. Moraa, and T. Gabonewe, 31–34. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Gallacher, C. 2017. Sexual Behaviour in Children: Warning Signs and Alarming Trends. Protect Young Minds. https://protectyoungminds.org/2017/04/27/problem-sexual-behavior-children. Retrieved 8 Oct 2018.
- Griffiths, M. 2004. Sex Addiction on the Internet. Janus Head 7: 188–217.Google Scholar
- Hatch, L. 2014. The Myth of the ‘Normal’ Childhood: Why Are You a Sex Addict? Psych Central. https://blogs.psychcentral.com/sex-addiction/2014/01/the-myth-of-the-normal-childhood-why-are-you-a-sex-addict/. Retrieved 15 Oct 2018.
- Ikawah, A. 2014. Sex Ed for Village Boys. In Sext Me Poems and Stories, 2–9. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Jalada. 2014. Sext Me Poems and Stories. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Karila, L., A. Wéry, A. Weinstein, O. Cottencin, A. Petit, M. Reynaud, et al. 2014. Sexual Addiction or Hypersexual Disorder: Different Terms for the Same Problem? A Review of the Literature. Current Pharmaceutical Design 20 (00): 1–9.Google Scholar
- Male, J. 2013. It’s a Night Job. In A. W. Trust. Suubi. Retrieved on January 20, 2018, from http://africanwriterstrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/suubi.pdf
- Mbamalu, S. 2016. Lagos Doesn’t Care. In Your Heart Will Skip a Bit and Other Stories: The Writivism Flash Fiction Anthology, ed. Writivism, 34–39. Kampala: Bahati Books.Google Scholar
- Moraa, A. 2014. Bound. In Text Me Poems and Other Stories, ed. K. Hampton, A. Moraa, and T. Gabonewe, 20–23. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Mugo, T.K. 2015. Madam. In My Maths Teacher Hates Me and Other Stories, ed. Writivism. Nairobi: Jalada Africa/Writivism.Google Scholar
- Musita, L. 2014. Kudinyana. In Sext Me Poems and Stories, 9–15. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Nwabueze, E. 2017. Sexuality and Culture in Postcolonial Africa. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publishing.Google Scholar
- Obungu, N. 2014. Bobbitt Wars. In Sext Me Poems and Stories, 16–19. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Oduor, R. 2014. Sex on a Train Wagon. In Sext Me Poems and Stories, 9–15. Nairobi: Jalada Africa.Google Scholar
- Rinka, E. 2013. Sexual Addiction and the Female Client. The Faculty of the Adler Graduate School. http://alfredadler.edu/sites/default/files/Rinka%20MP%202013%20.pdf. Retrieved 24 Oct 2018.
- Shercliff, E., and B. Bakare-Yusuf, eds. 2015. Valentine’s Day 2015 Anthology. Lagos: Ankara Press.Google Scholar
- The Ranch. 2016. Are There Gender Differences in Sex Addiction? The Ranch, July.Google Scholar
- Wainaina, B. 2015. The Idea Is to Be Sealed. In Valentine’s Day Anthology, ed. E. Shercliff and B. Bakare-Yusuf, 11–13. Lagos: Ankara Press.Google Scholar
- Weiss, R. 2016. Hypersexuality: Symptoms of Sexual Addiction. Retrieved June 7, 2018, from Psych Central: https://psychcentral.com/lib/hypersexuality-symptoms-of-sexual-addiction/
- Writivism. 2015. My Maths Teacher Hates Me and Other Stories. Kampala. https://jaladadotorg.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/my-maths-teacher-hates-me-and-other-stories-pdf.pdf.
- Writivism. 2016. Your Heart Will Skip a Beat and Other Stories. Kampala: Bahati Books.Google Scholar