Cybersecurity Threats: Past and Present
In this chapter we present our topology of cyberthreats, which we call the Periodic Table of Cyberthreats. We provide a brief history of cyberthreats and cybercrimes, complementing our narrative with the real-world examples. We conclude that the majority of threats, observed today, have existed for decades and what we seem to encounter now are new versions of existing criminal methods. We also distinguish between cybersecurity threats, vulnerabilities, and risks and describe the links and dependencies between them.
- 3.Nakamoto, S. (2009, May 24). Bitcoin: A peer-to-peer electronic cash system (PDF). Archived from the original on 20 March 2014. Retrieved 5 March 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Nakamoto, S. (2008, 31 October). Bitcoin P2P e-cash paper. Archived from the original on 28 December 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2014.Google Scholar
- 5.Kharlamov, A., Parry, G., & Pogrebna, G. (2018). Measuring vulnerability towards cybersecurity Risks (Working Paper).Google Scholar
- 6.May, R. (2018). The human firewall: Cybersecurity is not just an IT problem (Kindle Edition).Google Scholar
- 7.Evans, K., & Reeder, F. (2010). A human capital crisis in cybersecurity: Technical proficiency matters. Washington, DC: CSIS.Google Scholar