The Labour Market
With the analysis of the evolving labour market, this chapter prepares the ground for the major sectoral analyses which make up the remainder of the book. After introducing the overall picture of the market, the character and patterns of civil service employment—the most significant portion of the labour market—are set out. In so doing the clientelistic practices which have overshadowed the healthy development of civil service labour market in post-1974 period are made clear. References to private sector labour markets are also made whilst raising the endemic problem of public data collection and accessibility. The last section addresses the importance of labour unions and their impact on domestic politics. Historic data on employment patterns is also provided.
- Diler, Cenk. 2015. KKTC’nin Kurulusundan Hukumetlerin Vaatleri ve Hezimetleri 1983–2015 [Governments’ Promises and Fiascos since Establishment of TRNC], Soylem Yayinlari, Lefkoşa. ISBN:9789963298860.Google Scholar
- Ekici, Tufan, and Fatma Guven-Lisaniler. 2015. Gender Wage Gap in North Cyprus Labour Market. Working Paper, Famagusta.Google Scholar
- Erdim, Halil I. 2014. Ekonomik Savasin Onderi Sanayi Holding [Sanayi Holding: The Leader of Economic Struggle], January 2014, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- Ioannou, Gregoris, and Sertac Sonan. 2016. Trade Unions and Politics in Cyprus: A Historical Comparative Analysis across the Dividing Line. Mediterranean Politics. https://doi.org/10.1080/13629395.2016.1241614.
- Nevzat, Bilge, and Gill Fraser. 1999. The Turquoise Conspiracy: Asil Nadir, the Collapse of Polly Peck and the Persecution of a Family. London: Noble House.Google Scholar
- PGlobal. 2014. Determining the Efficiency of TRNC Labour Market [KKTC Isgucu Piyasasinin Etkinligini Tespiti Calismasi]. PGlobal Consultancy, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Saygili, Neriman, Kamil Kanipek, and Ismail Balikcioglu. 2013. Kktc’de sendika tari̇hi̇ ve kibrisli türkleri̇n varoluş mücadelesi̇ndeki̇ yeri [History of Trade Union in TRNC and the Position of Turkish Cypriots in the Struggle for Existence]. The Journal of International Social Research 6 (Fall 28).Google Scholar
- SPO. 1977. First Five Year Development Plan, 1978–1982, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Economic and Social Indicators, 1977–2016, Nicosia. http://devplan.org/Frame-eng.html.
- TFSC, General Secretariat of Ministry of Interior and Settlement [KTFD Icisleri ve Iskan Bakanligi Mustesarligi], 1978 Activities Report, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- TRNC Parliament Proceedings [KKTC Meclis Tutanaklari], Term I, Year 1, Session 13, 25 January 1984.Google Scholar
- ———, Term I, Year 1988/3, Session 55, 30 June 1988.Google Scholar
- ———, Term IV, Year 2000/2, Session 52, 28 April 2000.Google Scholar
- ———, Term VIII, Year 2017/5, Session 29, 16 January 2017.Google Scholar
- US Cable. 1978. Current Labor Disputes in Northern Cyprus. WikiLeaks Cable: 1978NICOSI00595_b. Dated: 3 March 1978. https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1978NICOSI00595_d.html.