- 203 Downloads
This chapter concludes the analysis by summarising the work as a whole. It argues that the empirical work and theoretical approach contained in the book mark a challenge to the common sense on precarity and insecurity. It then locates the emerging common sense in a wider “retreat from class” that has taken place since the 1980s.
- Bell, T. 2017. Britain’s Labour Market Has Passed Peak Insecurity. Financial Times. 24 June.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. 1998. Acts of Resistance: Against the New Myths of Our Time. Cambridge: Polity Press. Google Scholar
- Callinicos, A. 1989. Against Postmodernism. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Callinicos, A. 2003. An Anti-capitalist Manifesto. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Choonara, J. 2013. The Class Struggles in Europe. International Socialism 2 (138): 49–78.Google Scholar
- Choonara, J. 2018. Class and the Classical Marxist Tradition. In Considering Class: Theory, Culture and Media in the 21st Century, ed. M. Wayne and D. O’neill, 15–30. Leiden, NL: Brill.Google Scholar
- Doogan, K. 2009. New Capitalism? The Transformation of Work. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Draper, H. 1978. Karl Marx’s Theory of Revolution, Volume II: The Politics of Social Classes. New York: Monthly Review Press.Google Scholar
- Eden, D. 2012. Autonomy: Capitalism, Class and Politics. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Goodrich, C.L. 1975. The Frontier of Control. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Morgan, G., and Wood, J. 2017. The “Academic Career” in the Era of Flexploitation. In Mapping Precariousness, Labour Insecurity and Uncertain Livelihoods, ed. E. Armano, A. Bove, and A. Murgia, 82–97. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- O’connor, S. 2018. Exhausted UK Staff Work Harder and Faster “Just to Stand Still”. Financial Times. 1 October.Google Scholar
- Radice, H. 2013. How We Got Here: UK Higher Education Under Neoliberalism. ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies 12 (3): 407–418.Google Scholar
- Tetlow, G., and O’connor, S., 2016. British Workers Face Worst Decade for Pay in 70 Years. Financial Times, 24 November.Google Scholar
- Therborn, G. 2014. New Masses? New Left Review 1 (85): 7–16.Google Scholar
- UNISON. 2017. Higher Education: Unison Wins SOAS Commitment to End Outsourcing. Unison News, 7 August. Available from: www.unison.org.uk/news/2017/08/soas-victory/. Viewed 9 August 2017.
- UVW. 2017. Victory to LSE Cleaners! UVW News, 20 June. Available from: www.uvwunion.org.uk/uvwnews/2017/6/20/victory-to-lse-cleaners. Viewed 9 August 2017.
- Wood, E.M. 1998. The Retreat from Class: A New, “True” Socialism, 2nd ed. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Wood, A. 2016. It’s a Matter of Time: Can Deliveroo Deliver Collective Bargaining for the Gig Economy? Oxford Internet Institute. Available from: http://cii.oii.ox.ac.uk/2016/08/16/its-a-matter-of-time-can-deliveroo-deliver-collective-bargaining-for-the-gig-economy. Viewed 4 August 2017.
- Wright, T. 1996. Socialisms: Old and New. London: Routledge.Google Scholar