Physical Rehabilitation of Orthopedic Conditions in Austere Environments
This chapter addresses the general organization and delivery of physical rehabilitation in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), particularly in natural disaster and human conflict settings. It concentrates on the general physical rehabilitation of common orthopedic injuries and provides an overview of prosthetic and orthotic care. Challenges associated with physical rehabilitation in austere environments conclude the chapter.
We sincerely thank Professor Dr. Taslim Uddin (Chairman, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, Dhaka, Bangladesh) for his review of an earlier version of this chapter.
- Dynatronics. Types of physical therapy modalities. Internet. https://www.dynatronics.com/blog/physical-therapy-modalities-explained Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- Handicap International. Rehabilitation in sudden onset disasters. 2016. http://www.hiproweb.org/uploads/tx_hidrtdocs/1_RehabilitationInSuddenOnsetDisasters_ER06.pdf.
- ICRC. Exercises for lower-limb amputees: gait training. 2008. Available: https://shop.icrc.org/publications/icrc-activities/exercices-pour-les-amputes-des-membres-inferieurs-entrainement-a-la-marche.html. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- ICRC. Prosthetic gait analysis for physiotherapists. 2014. Available: https://shop.icrc.org/e-books/prosthetic-gait-analysis-for-physiotherapists.html. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- ICRC. Management of limb injuries during disasters and conflicts. 2016. Available: https://icrc.aoeducation.org/. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- ICRC. Physiotherapy at the ICRC: reference manual. Ch. 14. Physiotherapy in ICRC-supported health structures. 2017. Available: https://shop.icrc.org/e-books/physiotherapy-within-icrc.html. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WCPT. The role of physical therapists in disaster management: WCPT report. 2016. Available: https://www.wcpt.org/news/Disaster-management-report-Mar16. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WHO. The rehabilitation of persons with amputation. Basics of peripheral nerve injury rehabilitation. 2004. Available: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/34134/InTech-Basics_of_peripheral_nerve_injury_rehabilitation.pdf.
- WHO. Emergency surgical care in disaster situations. 2005. Available: http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js17692en/. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WHO. Community-based rehabilitation guidelines. 2010. Available: http://www.who.int/disabilities/cbr/guidelines/en/. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WHO. World report on disability. 2011. Available: http://www.who.int/disabilities/world_report/2011/en/. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WHO. Emergency medical teams: minimum technical standards and recommendations for rehabilitation. 2016. Available: http://www.who.int/disabilities/emergencies/en/. Accessed 31 Jul 2018.
- WHO/Euro. Guidelines for rehabilitation of physically wounded in disaster situations. 1996. http://www.desastres.hn/docum/crid/Abril2004/pdf/eng/doc10724/doc10724-a.pdf.