Two major factors account for the increase in the number of hand and wrist injuries in austere settings: (1) the recent, rapid increase in motorization and mechanization in populations for which safety measures are unrecognized, nonexistent, or ignored and (2) increased longevity that has increased the number of fragility fractures .
- 3.Rhemrev SJ, Ootes D, Beeres FJP, Meylaerts SAG, Schipper IB. Current methods of diagnosis and treatment of scaphoid fractures. Int J Emerg Med. 2011;4:4. Published online 2011 Feb 4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3051891/. https://doi.org/10.1186/1865-1380-4-4.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Haughton DN, Jordan D, Malahias M, Hindocha S, Khan W. Principles of hand fracture management. Open Orthop J. 2012;6(Suppl 1: M5):43–53. https://benthamopen.com/contents/pdf/TOORTHJ/TOORTHJ-6-43.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Charnley J. Closed treatment of common fractures. Golden Jubilee edition. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2007.Google Scholar
- Markiewitz AD. Complications of hand fractures and their prevention. Hand Clin. 2013;29:601–20. https://www.hand.theclinics.com/article/S0749-0712(13)00067-X/pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Video of examination of hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrdieKVWTc.