Introduction to Trauma in Austere Environments
Until recently, injuries were considered accidental events, occurring randomly—unpredictable and unavoidable. The 1996 Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study showed that at the population level, injuries and their sequelae are like all other diseases and conditions that lead to premature death or ill health. Many people were surprised to learn that traumatic injuries accounted for 15% of the total global burden of disease. No surgeon with experience in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) would be surprised, as injuries in general—and road traffic injuries (RTI) in particular—are widely acknowledged as the “neglected epidemic” of the developing world.
- 3.Socioeconomic and Behavioral Factors Leading to Acquired Bacterial Resistance to Antibiotics in Developing Countries https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627681/pdf/10081668.pdf.
- 4.Seldes R, et al. Liquid gentamicin in bone cement: a laboratory study of a potentially more cost-effective cement spacer. J Bone Joint Surg. 2005;87-A(2):268–72.Google Scholar
- ATLS 9th ed. free down load. https://www.44c.in.ua/files/book11.pdf.
- Hoppenfeld S, de Boer P, Buckley R. Surgical exposures in orthopaedics, the anatomic approach. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2009.Google Scholar
- http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/42564/9241545755.pdf;jsessionid=BAD6452CA1CF5577C6659BB54FF8068F?sequence=1. Surgical care at the district hospital 2003.
- https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10161/8996/CarsEtAl_AntibioticResistance-TheNeedforGlobalSolutions_LancetInfectiousDiseases_2013%5B1%5D.pdf?sequence=1. Antibiotic resistance—the need for global solutions. www.thelancet.com/infection Published online November 17, 2013.
- https://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/files/other/icrc-002-0973.pdf. War surgery chapter 10 concerns surgical management of war wounds.
- Management of Limb Injuries During Disasters and Conflicts. https://icrc.aoeducation.org/files/downloads/A_Field_Guide_Low_res.pdf.