The Construction of the Iranian Gay Subject Outside of Iran
The chapter discusses how the modern Iranian gay subject has been constructed outside of Iran. The discourses reproduced by Western (pink) media on same-sex desires have mostly been framed around victimization and the persecution of gays within Iran. The gay international movement and organization in the global north, as well as sexual Iranian refugees, have promulgated this narrative of victimhood. Thus, the gay subject within Iran has solely been depicted as a victim and in constant danger of being killed or persecuted by a repressive/oppressive Islamic regime. However, as argued, within Iran, the picture is often at odds with the one painted in the global north. Although not being a “gay paradise” in terms of livability and sexual rights, Iranian gays try to find ways of accommodating their desires within those limits set by the legal-social and historical context of today’s Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Amnesty International. (2016, August, 2). Iran: Hanging of Teenager Shows Authorities’ Brazen Disregard for International Law. Retrieved from https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/08/iran-hanging-of-teenager-shows-brazen-disregard-for-international-law/.
- Blasius, M. (2013). Theorizing the Politics of (Homo)sexualities Across Cultures. In L. M. Weiss & M. Boisa (Eds.), Global Homophobia I (pp. 218–245). Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Butler, J. (1991). Imitation and Gender Insubordination. In D. Fuss (Ed.), Inside/Out: Lesbian Theories, Gay Theories (pp. 13–31). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Duffy, N. (2014, August 20). Iranian Lesbian Couple Marry in Stockholm. PinkNews. Retrieved from https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/08/20/iranian-lesbian-couple-marry-in-stockholm/.
- Duffy, N. (2015, April 28). Gay Iranian: Lib Dem Simon Hughes ‘Saved My Life’ and Helped Me Escape the Death Penalty. PinkNews. Retrieved from https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/04/28/gay-iranian-lib-dem-simon-hughes-saved-my-life-and-helped-me-escape-the-death-penalty/.
- Duggan, L. (2002). The New Homonormativity. The Sexual Politics of Neoliberalism. In R. Castronovo & D. D. Nelson (Eds.), Materializing Democracy: Toward a Revitalized Cultural Politics (p. 179). Durham and London: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Grindley, L. (2016, August 5). Teen Executed for Gay Sex in Iran Is Latest in Long Trend. Advocate. Retrieved from https://www.advocate.com/world/2016/8/05/teen-executed-gay-sex-iran-latest-long-trend.
- Human Rights & Democracy for Iran. A Project of the Abdorrahman Boroumand Center. (n.d.). Hassan Afshar. Retrieved from https://www.iranrights.org/memorial/story/-7843/hassan-afshar.
- Human Rights Watch. (2005, July 26). Iran: End Juvenile Executions. Retrieved from https://www.hrw.org/news/2005/07/26/iran-end-juvenile-executions.
- Kjaran, J. I., & Martino, W. (2017). In Search of Queer Spaces in Tehran: Heterotopias, Power Geometries and Bodily Orientations in Queer Iranian’s Men Lives. Sexualities. https://doi.org/10.1177/1363460717713383. Published online.
- Martino, W., & Kjaran, J. I. (2019). The Politics of Recognizability: Giving an Account of Iranian Gay Men’s Lives Under Repressive Conditions of Sexuality Governance. International Journal of Middle East Studies, 51 (1), 21–41.Google Scholar
- Mason, J. D. (2014, July 9). Why LGBT People Around the World Need Israel. Advocate. Retrieved from https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2014/07/09/op-ed-why-lgbt-people-around-world-need-israel.
- Najmabadi, A. (2014). Professing Selves: Transsexuality and Same-Sex Desire in Contemporary Iran. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Puar, J. K. (2010, July 1). Israel’s Gay Propaganda War. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jul/01/israels-gay-propaganda-war.
- TheGayUK. (2014, March 4). Unconfirmed Reports That Iran Hanged Two Gay Men for ‘Perversion’. Retrieved from https://www.thegayuk.com/unconfirmed-reports-that-iran-hanged-two-gay-men-for-perversion/.
- Trew, B. (2016, August 4). Tehran Hangs Teenage Boy for Being Gay. The Sunday Times. Retrieved from https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tehran-hangs-teenage-boy-for-being-gay-7t2pv97mq.
- Verkaik, R. (2008, March 6). A Life or Death Decision. Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a-life-or-death-decision-792058.html.
- Weinthal, B. (2014, March 14). Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly. Two Reports Indicate That Despite a New President’s Overtures to the Contrary, Iran Will Remain a Deadly Place for LGBTs. Advocate. Retrieved from https://www.advocate.com/world/2014/03/14/experts-predict-iran-will-remain-deadly.