Recent Progress in Optimization of Multiband Electrical Filters
The best uniform rational approximation of the sign function on two intervals was explicitly found by Russian mathematician E.I. Zolotarëv in 1877. The progress in math eventually led to the progress in technology: half a century later German electrical engineer and physicist W. Cauer on the basis of this solution has invented low- and high-pass electrical filters known today as elliptic or Cauer-Zolotarëv filters and possessing the unbeatable quality. We discuss a recently developed approach for the solution of optimization problem naturally arising in the synthesis of multi-band (analogue, digital or microwave) electrical filters. The approach is based on techniques from algebraic geometry and generalizes the effective representation of Zolotarëv fraction.
Supported by RScF grant 16-11-10349.
- 1.Achïeser, N.I.: Sur un problème de E. Zolotarëv. Bull. Acad. Sci. de l’URSS VII sér.(10), 919–931 (1929)Google Scholar
- 2.Achïeser, N.I.: Elements of the Theory of Elliptic Functions (Russian). Leningrad (1948). Translated from the second Russian edition by H.H. McFaden. Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 79, viii+237 pp. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Amer, R.A.-R., Schwarz, H.R.: Contributions to the approximation problem of electrical filters. Mitt. Inst. Angew. Math. (1964), No. 9, Birkhäuser, Basel. 99 pp. See also R.A.-R. Amer’s PHD Thesis, ETH, 1964Google Scholar
- 7.Bogatyrev, A.B.: Ekstremal’nye mnogochleny i rimanovy poverkhnosti. MCCME, Moscow (2005). Translated under the title Extremal Polynomials and Riemann Surfaces, Springer, Berlin (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Bogatyrev, A.B.: Chebyshëv representation of rational functions. Mat. Sb. 201(11), 19–40 (2010) [Sb. Math. (Engl. Transl.) 201(11–12), 1579–1598 (2010)]Google Scholar
- 12.Cauer, W.: Theorie der linearen Wechselstromschaltungen, Bd. 1, Leipzig: Becker und Erler, 1941; Bd. 2. Akademie, Berlin (1960)Google Scholar
- 17.Fuchs, W.J.H.: On Chebyshëv approximation on sets with several components. In: Brannan, D.A., Clunie, J.G. (eds.) Aspects of Contemporary Complex Analysis, pp. 399–408. Academic Press, London, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 18.Gonchar, A.A.: The problems of E.I. Zolotarëv which are connected with rational functions. Mat. Sb. 78(120), no. 4, 640–654 (1969)Google Scholar
- 24.Remez, E.Ya.: Basics of Numerical Methods of Chebyshëv Approximation. Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1969)Google Scholar
- 26.Zolotarëv, E.I.: Application of elliptic functions to questions on functions deviating least and most from zero. Zap. Imp. Akad. Nauk St. Petersburg 30(5), 1–71 (1877)Google Scholar