September 11 and Student Mobility
On September 11, 2001, 19 young militants highjacked four commercial airliners and carried out suicide assaults against targets in the United States. Most of the attackers were from Saudi Arabia and at least two had entered the country on F-1 student visas. The mastermind of the assault was himself a Saudi, who had also come to America as a student, 20 years before. The jolt to the United States was immense and the nation quickly took steps to secure its borders and to closely monitor international students. This chapter describes the governmental and institutional initiatives that followed the 9/11 attack, such as the SEVIS student-monitoring mandates, and their impacts on education exchange.
- Goldstein, Amy, Lena H. Sun, and George Lardner, Jr. 2001. Hanjour, a Study in Paradox. The Washington Post, October 15.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Victor. 2003. The Perils of Homeland Security. The Chronicle of Higher Education 49, April 11.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Victor C. 2005. Taking Stock, Making Strides. International Educator 14 (1), March–April.Google Scholar
- Mooney, Paul, and Shialaia Neelakantan. 2004. No Longer Dreaming of America. The Chronicle of Higher Education 51, October 8.Google Scholar
- O’Neill, James M. 2001. Foreign Students May Bear Brunt of Terrorism with Stricter Visas. Knight Rider Tribune News Service, September 27.Google Scholar
- Temple-Raston, Dina. 2009. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed’s Isolated U.S. College Days. National Public Radio, November 18. www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyld=120516152.
- U.S. Department of State. 2003. Review of Nonimmigrant Visa Issuance Policy and Procedures. http://www.state.gov/s/d/rm/rls/perfrpt/2003/index.htm.
- Witt, M. Allison. 2008. Closed Borders and Closed Minds: Immigration Policy Changes after 9/11 and U.S. Higher Education. Journal of Educational Controversy 3(1): Art. 5. https://cedar.wwu.edu/jec/vol3/iss1/5.
- Yardley, Jim. 2002. A Trainee Noted for Incompetence. The New York Times, May 4.Google Scholar
- Yudhijit, Bhattacharjee. 2004. Foreign Graduate Student Applications Drop. Science 303, March 5.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Y. 2004. The Visa Trap. The New York Times, January 18.Google Scholar