Management of Intracardiac Thrombus During Orthotopic Liver Transplant
Liver transplant is the only definitive treatment for end-stage liver disease, which can be caused by pharmacologic, oncologic, metabolic, and iatrogenic factors. End-stage liver disease leads to altered physiology of multiple organ systems, most notable cardiac, pulmonary, and hematologic/coagulation. As a result, the anesthesiologist faces many intraoperative challenges. This chapter describes the intraoperative resuscitation of a patient with end-stage liver disease secondary to malignancy and details the intricate management of complications from an unexpected large right atrial thrombus and associated prothrombotic and coagulopathic changes. We also describe in detail manifestations of end-stage liver disease and their anesthetic impact, the role of transesophageal echocardiography, specific anesthetic considerations during the different stages of liver transplant, management of massive hemorrhage including a rapid blood infuser, and diagnosis and treatment of coagulopathies.
KeywordsLiver transplant End-stage liver disease Transesophageal echocardiography Coagulopathy Massive blood transfusion Intracardiac thrombus
- 3.Stoelting RK, Hines RL, Marshall KE. Chapter 13: Diseases of the liver and biliary tract, Stoelting’s Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders/Elsevier; 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.United Network for Organ Sharing. Questions & answers for transplant candidates about MELD and PELD. 2008. https://www.unos.org/wp-content/uploads/unos/MELD_PELD.pdf.
- 7.Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center. Liver transplant program. 2018. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/transplant/programs/liver/index.html.
- 8.Jaffe RA, Schmiesing C, Golianu B. Chapter 7.12: Liver/kidney/pancreas transplantation, Anesthesiologist’s Manual of Surgical Procedures. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Goldflam K, et al. Focus on: inferior vena cava ultrasound. American College of Emergency Physicians News. 2011. https://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=80791.
- 10.Edwards Lifesciences Corporation. Central venous access. 2018. http://www.edwards.com/eu/products/central-venous-access.
- 16.Protin C, et al. Emergent management of intracardiac thrombosis during liver transplantation. Case Rep Transplant. 2016:2016;6268370.Google Scholar
- 18.Belmont Instrument Corporation. Belmont rapid infuser. 2018. http://www.belmontinstrument.com/.