On the Application of Domain Adaptation in SHM
Machine learning has been widely and successfully used in many Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) applications. However, many machine learning models can only make accurate predictions when the training and test data are measured from the same system; this is because most traditional machine learning methods assume that all the data are drawn from the same distribution. Therefore, to train a robust predictor, it is often required to recollect and label new training data every time when considering a new structure, which can be significantly expensive, and sometimes impossible in the SHM context. In such cases, the idea of transfer learning may be employed, which aims to transfer knowledge between task domains to improve learners. In this paper, a subfield of transfer learning i.e. domain adaptation, is considered, and its utility in SHM applications is briefly investigated.
KeywordsDomain adaptation Transfer learning Structural health monitoring (SHM)
The authors would like to gratefully acknowledge the support of the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council via grants EP/J016942/1 and EP/K003836/2. KW would also like to thank Lawrence Bull of the University of Sheffield for discussions on the nature of active learning and for commenting on the manuscript.
- 6.Papatheou, E., Dervilis, N., Maguire, E.A., Antoniadou, I., Worden, K.: Population-based SHM: a case study on an offshore wind farm. In: Proceedings of 10th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Palo Alto, CA (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, J., Li, W., Ogunbona, P.: Transfer learning for cross-dataset recognition: a survey (2017). arXiv:1705.04396v2 [cs.CV]Google Scholar
- 10.Sugiyama, M., Nakajima, S., Kashima, H., Buenau, P.V., Kawanabe, M.: Direct importance estimation with model selection and its application to covariate shift adaptation. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 1433–1440 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Baktashmotlagh, M., Harandi, M.T., Lovell, B.C., Salzmann, M.: Domain adaptation on the statistical manifold. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2481–2488 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Pan, S.J., Kwok, J.T., Yang, Q.: Transfer learning via dimensionality reduction. In: AAAI, vol. 8, pp. 677–682 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Long, M., Wang, J., Ding, G., Sun, J., Yu, P.S.: Transfer feature learning with joint distribution adaptation. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), pp. 2200–2207 (2013)Google Scholar