European Digital Library for the Intercultural Dialogue. Interactive Environments for Education, Cultural Heritage and Civic Empowerment
The European Digital Library project encompasses the establishment of a digital community library based on the use of new technologies for the knowledge dissemination in a European framework and the design of an experiential environment for education, cultural heritage fruition and, active participation in civic society. The project operates within the community libraries proposing the development of experiential services and digital applications. The initiative, promoted by the Puglia Region for the activation of Community Libraries within the regional territory, aims to set up an integrated creative environment supporting local development and socio-educational and tourism-cultural actions. In particular, the community library is dedicated to local activation and cultural cohesion, conceived as an advanced library model offering innovative services for the promotion of reading and culture.
KeywordsDigital heritage Digital arts Intercultural dialogue Education through digital media Interactive environments Interactive digital publishing
SMART-IN PUGLIA program (Support, Memory, Arts, Resilience, Territory, Intelligence) is promoted by the Puglia Region (Italy) and it is part of the regional Strategic Plan for Culture. The Strategic Plan (PiiiLCultura in Puglia) is an instrument of planning and development in the short, medium and long term written and built with a functional and participatory method.
The History Digital Library is a community library and a non-profit public cultural project promoted by Comune di Brindisi and operated at the Casa del Turista by the Brindisi Virtual Library consortium: Società di Storia Patria della Puglia, Liceo delle Scienze Umane e Linguistico “Ettore Palumbo”, Associazione Vola Alto.
Both authors developed the research concept and the library layout: Valentina Battista edited the Introduction: learning, technologies, innovation paragraph, Giuseppe Amoruso edited the Interactive environments for education, cultural heritage and civic empowerment paragraph, both the authors edited the Experiential design: the European Digital Library project and the Conclusions paragraph.
- Amoruso G (2009) Il disegno per il design dei beni culturali. In: Bartolomei C (ed) Cultural heritage documentation, Disegnare Con vol 3, no 6Google Scholar
- Cisco Systems Inc. (2010) The Learning Society. http://www.cisco.com/web/about/citizenship/socio-economic/docs/LearningSociety_WhitePaper.pdf. Accessed 15 Oct 2018
- Eco U (1998) Fondo Young sulla memoria e la mnemotecnica. Presentazione del Fondo. http://web.unirsm.sm/young/eco.htm
- Manovich L (2002) The language of new media. MIT Press, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Pine BJ II, Gilmore JH (2011) The experience economy. Harvard Business School Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Simon N (2010) The participatory museum. Santa Cruz: Museum 2.0Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2003) Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, ParisGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO (2015) Recommendation concerning the Protection and Promotion of Museums and Collections, ParisGoogle Scholar