Approximation of Short-Run Equilibrium of the N-Region Core-Periphery Model in an Urban Setting
The purpose of this chapter is to give an approximation of short-run equilibrium of the N-region core-periphery model in an urban setting. The approximation is sufficiently accurate and expressed explicitly in terms of the distribution of workers that is contained as known function in the model. Making use of this approximation, we can analyze the behavior of each short-run equilibrium.
KeywordsDiscrete nonlinear equation Krugman model Spatial economics
Mathematical Subject Classification39B72 91B72
Minoru Tabata is supported in part by Grant-in-aid for Scientific Research of Japan Grant Number 15K05005. Nobuoki Eshima is supported in part by Grant-in-aid for Scientific Research of Japan Grant Number 26330045. The authors declare that they have no competing interests. Each author equally contributed to this chapter, read and approved the final manuscript. This manuscript has not been published or presented elsewhere in part or in entirety, and is not under consideration by another journal.
- 3.Anastassiou, G.A., Merve, K.: Discrete Approximation Theory, vol. 20. World Scientific (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Castro, S.B.S.D., Correia-da-Silva, J., Mossay, P.: The core-periphery model with three regions and more. Pap. Reg. Sci. 91(2), 401–418 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Conte, R., Musette, M.: Discrete nonlinear equations. In: The Painlevé Handbook, pp. 163–186 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Kevrekidis, P.G.: The Discrete Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation: Mathematical Analysis, Numerical Computations and Physical Perspectives, vol. 232. Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Krugman, P.: The official homepage of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences. (2008). http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/
- 16.Krugman, P.: The Self-Organizing Economy. Blackwell Publishers (1996)Google Scholar
- 18.Krugman, P.: Scale economies, product differentiation, and the pattern of trade. Am. Econ. Rev. 70(5), 950–959 (1980)Google Scholar
- 21.Ottaviano, Gi.I.P., Puga, D.: Agglomeration in the global economy: a survey of the ‘new economic geography’. World Econ. 21(6), 707–731 (1998)Google Scholar
- 24.Tabata, M., Eshima, N., Kiyonari, Y., Takagi, I.: The existence and uniqueness of short-run equilibrium of the Dixit-Stiglitz-Krugman model in an urban-rural setting. IMA J. Appl. Math. 80(2), 474–493 (2015). Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- 25.Tabata, M., Eshima, N.: Existence and uniqueness of solutions to the wage equation of Dixit-Stiglitz-Krugman model with no restriction on transport costs. Discrete Dyn. Nat. Soc. Article ID 9341502 (2017)Google Scholar