Fully Integrated Galvanically Isolated DC-DC Converters Based on Inductive Coupling
The paper reviews the most interesting architectures of integrated isolated dc-dc converters based on inductive coupling. Circuit implementations for both power and data/control links are discussed by taking advantages of a 0.35-μm BCD technology with thick-oxide back-end. The paper is mainly addressed to isolated sensor interface and gate-driver applications. Innovative dc-dc converter architectures are proposed for both applications, highlighting advantages and drawbacks with respect to traditional implementations.
The authors would like to thank V. Palumbo of STMicroelectronics for technology support. They also thank P. Lombardo, V. Fiore, and N. Greco for their technical contributions within their Ph.D. activities.
- 1.DIN VDE Semiconductor Devices-Magnetic and Capacitive Coupler for Basic and Reinforced Isolation, VDE Verlag VDE V 0884–11, Jan. 2017Google Scholar
- 2.Palumbo, V., Ghidini, G., Carollo, E., Toia, F.: Integrated transformer. U.S. Patent App. 14733009, filed Jun. 8, 2015Google Scholar
- 6.Greco, N., Parisi, A., Spina, N., Ragonese, E., Palmisano, G.: Integrated transformer modelling for galvanically isolated power transfer systems. In: Proceedings of conference on PhD Research in Microelectronics and Electronics (PRIME), Giardini Naxos, Italy, pp. 325–328, Jul. 2017Google Scholar
- 8.Ragonese, E., Fiore, V., Spina, N., Palmisano, G.: Power oscillator apparatus with transformer-based power combining. US patent 9240752 B2, granted 19 Jan. 2016Google Scholar
- 9.Greco, N., Parisi, A., Lombardo, P., Palmisano, G., Spina, N., Ragonese, E.: A 100-mW fully integrated DC-DC converter with double galvanic isolation. In: Proceedings 43rd IEEE Europe Solid-State Circuits Conf. (ESSCIRC), pp. 291–294, Sep. 2017Google Scholar
- 10.Analog Devices. ADuM6201–Dual-Channel, 5 kV Isolators with integrated DC-to-DC converter datasheet. http://www.analog.com. Accessed 2018
- 11.Ragonese, E., Fiore, V., Spina, N., Lombardo, P., Palmisano, G.: Power oscillator apparatus with transformer-based power combining for galvanically-isolated bidirectional data communication and power transfer. US patent 9306614 B2, granted 05 April 2016Google Scholar
- 12.Lombardo, P., Fiore, V., Ragonese, E., Palmisano, G.: A fully-integrated half-duplex data/power transfer system with up to 40 Mbps data rate, 23mW output power and on-chip 5 kV galvanic isolation. In: Proceedings IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conf. Tech. Dig. (ISSCC), pp. 300–301, Feb. 2016Google Scholar
- 13.Ragonese, E., Spina, N., Lombardo, P., Greco, N., Parisi, A., Palmisano, G.: Galvanically isolated DC-DC converter with bidirectional data transmission. U.S. Patent 9948193 B2, granted 17 April 2018Google Scholar
- 15.Greco, N., Parisi, A., Lombardo, P., Spina, N., Ragonese, E., Palmisano, G.: A double-isolated dc-dc converter based on integrated LC resonant barriers. Trans. Circuits Syst. I: Reg. Papers 65, 4423–4433 (2018)Google Scholar