A Face Recognition System Using Off-the-Shelf Feature Extractors and an Ad-Hoc Classifier
Face recognition systems are of great interest in many applications. We present some results from a comparison on different classification methods using an open source tool that works with Convolutional Neural Networks to extract facial features. This work focuses on the performance obtainable from a multi-class classifier, trained with a reduced number images, to identify a person between a group of known and unknown subjects . The overall system has been implemented in an Odroid XU-4 Platform.
KeywordsFace detection Face recognition Deep learning Convolutional Neural Networks
University of Trieste—FRA projects.
- 1.Neto, L.B., Grijalva, F., Maike, V.R.M.L., Martini, L.C., Florencio, D., Baranauskas, M.C.C., Rocha, A., Goldenstein, S.: A kinect-based wearable face recognition system to aid visually impaired users. IEEE Trans. Hum. Mach. Syst. 47(1), 52–64 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Krishna, S., Little, G., Black, J., Panchanathan, S.: A wearable face recognition system for individuals with visual impairments. In: Proceedings of the 7th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers Accessibility, pp. 106–113 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Astler, D., et al.: Increased accessibility to nonverbal communication through facial and expression recognition technologies for blind/visually impaired subjects. In: Proceedings of the 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference Computers Accessibility, pp. 259–260 (2011) (2010, pp. 4538–4541, pp. 45–52)Google Scholar
- 4.Bansal, A., Castillo, C., Ranjan, R., Chellappa, R.: The Do’s and Don’ts for CNN-based Face Verification (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Amos, B., Ludwiczuk, B., Satyanarayanan, M.: Openface: A general-purpose face recognition library with mobile applications, CMU-CS-16-118. Technical Report, CMU School of Computer Science (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.http://blog.dlib.net/2017/02/high-quality-face-recognition-with-deep.html. Accessed 12 July 2018
- 8.Szegedy, C., Liu, W., Jia, Y., Sermanet, P., Reed, S., Anguelov, D., Erhan, D., Vanhoucke, V., Rabinovich, A.: Going deeper with convolutions. https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.4842
- 9.He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., Sun, J.: Deep residual learning for image recognition. https://arxiv.org/abs/1512.03385
- 10.Ng, H.W., Winkler, S.: A data-driven approach to cleaning large face datasets. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 27–30. Paris, France (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Kazemi, V., Sullivan, J.: One millisecond face alignment with an ensemble of regression trees. In: 2014 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern RecognitionGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yi, D., Lei, Z., Liao, S., Li, S.Z.: Learning face representation from scratch (2014). https://arxiv.org/abs/1411.7923