Optimization of Coagulation Flocculation Process for the Removal of Heavy Metals from Real Textile Wastewater
The coagulation flocculation process with ferric chloride as coagulant and polymer as a flocculant was optimized for the elimination of heavy metals from a real textile wastewater using 42 composite central and surface response method. The effect of the three factors (pH, dose of coagulant and volume of flocculant) on the elimination of heavy metals was investigated and found to be positive. The optimal conditions obtained from the compromise of the desirable responses such as Cd removal, Pb removal, As removal, Ni removal and Se removal were 0.64 g/L of coagulant dosage, 2.6 g/L of flocculant dosage at pH 8.1. The maximum removal of Cd, Pb, Ni, As and Se in this study achieve respectively 38.49%, 78, 88% and 61.88% 60.63%, 81.76%, 47.01% in optimal conditions.
KeywordsReal textile wastewater Coagulation flocculation Heavy metals Optimization Experimental design Surface response methodology
Authors are thankful to Ministry of National Education, Vocational Training, Higher Education and Scientific Research (MNEVTHESR) (Morocco) for the financial support (This work is part of ERANETMED-Water Project “SETPROpER” project.).
- 1.Halimoon, N., Goh Soo, R.: Removal of Heavy Metals from Textile Wastewater using Zeolite. Environment Asia 3 (special issue), pp. 124–130 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Gosavi, V., Sharma, D. A general review on: various treatment methods for textile wastewater. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 29–39 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Burke, G., Singh, B.R., Theodore, L.: Handbook of Environmental Management and Technology, 2nd edn., pp. 217–235. Wiley-Interscience, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Dominguez, J.R., Heredia, J.B., Gonzalez, T., Lavado, S.: Evaluation of ferric chloride as a coagulant for cork processing wastewaters. Influence of the operation conditions on the removal of organic matter and settleability parameters. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 44, 6539–6548 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Dikshit, A.K.: Treatment of landfill leachate using coagulation. In: 2nd International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, IPCBEE 6. IACSIT Press, Singapore (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Camba, A., González-García, S., Bala, A., Fullana-i-Palmer, P., Teresa Moreira, M., Feijoo, G.: Modeling the leachate flow and aggregated emissions from municipal waste landfills under life cycle thinking in the Oceanic region of the Iberian Peninsula. J. Clean. Prod. 67(15), 98–106 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar