Ecosystems Services Economic Valuation Model: Case Study in Latvia
The aim of the paper is to present and discuss the model for ecosystem economic (monetary) valuation for the territory socio-economic development planning in two Latvian administrative areas: Baltic Sea coastal Saulkrasti and Jaunkemeri pilot areas. Using ecosystem services economic valuation model three scenarios have been modelled: current situation, planned development and uncontrolled development, when in two pilot areas about 50% increase in construction and 50% decrease of the forest area is foreseen. After analyzing the ecosystem services’ monetary values, it is concluded that the greatest monetary value in both areas are provided by regulating services, so the maintenance and protection of ecosystems ensuring regulating services can be considered as a priority in both pilot areas. The second priority is cultural services, assuming, that the use of cultural services will not generate additional anthropogenic load. The lowest priority is given to provisioning services, taking into account the fact that the real possibilities to obtain the market values are limited, because tree felling is prohibited.
KeywordsMonetary valuation Land-use planning Sustainable management
The study underlying this manuscript has been conducted within LIFE “EcosystemServices” (LIFE13 ENV/LV/000839) project, co-financed by European Union.
- Alcamo, J., Ash, N. J., Butler, C. D., Callicot, J. B., Capistrano, D., & Carpenter, S. R. (2003). Ecosystems and human well-being: A framework for assessment. Washington, DC: World Resource Institute.Google Scholar
- De Groot, R., Brander, L., Der Ploeg, S. V., Costanza, R., Bernard, F., Braat, L., Christie, M., Crossman, N., Ghermandi, A., Hein, L., Hussain, S., Kumar, P., Mcvittie, A., Portela, R., Rodriguez, L. C., & Van Beukering, P. (2012). Global estimates of the value of ecosystems and their services in monetary units. Ecosystem Services, 1(1), 50–61.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Groot, R., Kumar, P., Der Ploeg, S. V., & Sukhdev, P. (2011). Estimates of monetary values of ecosystem services. In The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity. Ecological and economic foundations (pp. 1–35). Liverpool: The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB).Google Scholar
- Kettunen, M., Vihervaara, P., Kinnunen, S., D’Amato, D., Badura, T., Argimon, M., & Ten Brink, P. (2012). Socio-economic importance of ecosystem services in the Nordic countries. In Synthesis in the context of the economics of ecosystems and biodiversity (TEEB). Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers.Google Scholar
- Notte, A. L., Maes, J., Bouraoui, F., & Masi, F. (2012). Biophysical assessment and monetary valuation of ecosystem services. Scenario analysis for the case of water purification in Europe. Luxembourg: European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability.Google Scholar
- Ostberg, K., Hasselstrom, L., & Hakansson, C. (2015). Non-market valuation of the coastal environment – Uniting political aims, ecological and economic knowledge. Journal of Environmental Management, 110(2012), 166–178.Google Scholar
- Pascual, U., Muradian, R., Brander, L., Gomez-Baggethun, E., Martin-Lopez, B., Verma, M., Armsworth, P., Christie, M., Cornelissen, H., Eppink, F., Farley, J., Pearson, L., Perrings, C., Polasky, S., Mcneely, J., Norgaard, R., Siddiqui, R., Simpson, R. D., Turner, R. K., & Simpson, R. D. (2011). The economics of valuing ecosystem services and biodiversity. In The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity. Ecological and economic foundations (p. 133). Liverpool: The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB).Google Scholar
- Price, R. (Ed.). (2007). An introductory guide to valuing ecosystem services. London: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.Google Scholar
- Trzaski, L., & Mana, V. (2008). Monetary value assessment of biotopes in the Bobrek river valley, Sosnowiec – A methodology proposal for Poland. Research Reports Mining and Environment, 3, 79–90.Google Scholar
- Van Der Ploeg, S., De Groot, D., & Wang, Y. (2010). The TEEB valuation database: Overview of structure, data and results. Wageningen: Foundation for Sustainable Development.Google Scholar