What is a data scientist? How can you become one? How can you form a team of data scientists that fits your organization? In this chapter, we trace the skillset of a successful data scientist and define the necessary competencies. We give a disambiguation to other historically or contemporary definitions of the term and show how a career as a data scientist might get started. Finally, we will answer the third question, that is, how to build analytics teams within a data-driven organization.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brodie, M. L. (2015a). The emerging discipline of data science – Principles and techniques for data-intensive analysis. Keynote talk the 2nd Swiss Workshop on Data Science SDS|2015. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z93X2k9RVqg
- Brodie, M. L. (2015b). Doubt and verify: Data science power tools. KDnuggets. Retrieved April 5, 2018, from https://www.kdnuggets.com/2015/07/doubt-verify-data-science-power-tools.html
- Cieliebak, M., Dürr, O., & Uzdilli, F. K. (2014). Meta-classifiers easily improve commercial sentiment detection tools. LREC.Google Scholar
- Colclough, A. (2017). When data visualization goes wrong and numbers mislead. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from https://www.dwrl.utexas.edu/2017/12/29/when-data-visualization-goes-wrong/
- Columbus, L. (2017). IBM predicts demand for data scientists will soar 28% by 2020. Retrieved April 5, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/05/13/ibm-predicts-demand-for-data-scientists-will-soar-28-by-2020/#6cf2d57e7e3b
- Conway, D. (2010). The data science Venn diagram. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from http://www.dataists.com/2010/09/the-data-science-venn-diagram/ (figure available from http://drewconway.com/zia/2013/3/26/the-data-science-venn-diagram).
- Fux, S. J. (2005). Persönlichkeit und Berufstätigkeit: Theorie und Instrumente von John Holland im deutschsprachigen Raum, unter Adaptation und Weiterentwicklung von Self-directed Search (SDS) und Position Classification Inventory (PCI). Cuvillier Verlag.Google Scholar
- Guest, D. (1991, September 17). The hunt is on for the Renaissance Man of computing. The Independent (London). Quoted by Retrieved April 4, 2018, from https://wordspy.com/index.php?word=t-shaped
- Harris, J. G., & Eitel-Porter, R. (2015). Data scientists: ‘As rare as unicorns’. The Guardian. Retrieved April 5, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/media-network/2015/feb/12/data-scientists-as-rare-as-unicorns
- Hernandez, J., Berkey, B., & Bhattacharya, R. (2013). Building an analytics-driven organization. Retrieved June 9, 2018, from https://www.accenture.com/dk-en/~/media/Accenture/Conversion-Assets/DotCom/Documents/Global/PDF/Industries_2/Accenture-Building-Analytics-Driven-Organization.pdf
- Jaokar, A. (2016). How to become a (Type A) data scientist. KDnuggets. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from https://www.kdnuggets.com/2016/08/become-type-a-data-scientist.html
- Jones, A. (2014). Data science skills and business problems. KDnuggets. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from http://www.kdnuggets.com/2014/06/data-science-skills-business-problems.html
- Manyika, J., Chui, M., Brown, B., Bughin, J., Dobbs, R., Roxburgh, C., & Byers, A. H. (2011). Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity. Retrieved March 23, 2018, from https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/big-data-the-next-frontier-for-innovation
- Needham, J. (2013). Disruptive possibilities – How big data changes everything. O’Reilly Media. ISBN 978-1-449-36567-7.Google Scholar
- Olavsrud, T. (2015). Don’t look for unicorns, build a data science team. CIO. Retrieved May 28, 2018, from https://www.cio.com/article/3011648/analytics/dont-look-for-unicorns-build-a-data-science-team.html
- Patil, D. (2011). Building data science teams. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/09/building-data-science-teams.html
- Press, G. (2015). The hunt for unicorn data scientists lifts salaries for all data analytics professionals. Retrieved May 28, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/gilpress/2015/10/09/the-hunt-for-unicorn-data-scientists-lifts-salaries-for-all-data-analytics-professionals/
- Sicular, S. (2012). The quest for data scientists. The Australian Business Review. Retrieved April 5, 2018, from https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/business-spectator/the-quest-for-data-scientists/news-story/eab27147e92d0011520f5adb32010e43
- Stadelmann, T. (2017). Science, applied. Die wissenschaftliche Methode im Kern des Produktentwicklungsprozesses. AIssays blog. Retrieved April 6, 2018, from https://stdm.github.io/Science-applied/
- Stadelmann, T., Stockinger, K., Braschler, M., Cieliebak, M., Baudinot, G. R., Dürr, O., & Ruckstuhl, A. (2013, August). Applied data science in Europe – Challenges for academia in keeping up with a highly demanded topic. In European computer science summit ECSS 2013. Amsterdam: Informatics Europe.Google Scholar
- Stanley, J., & Tunkelang, D. (2016). Doing data science right – Your most common questions answered. First Round Review. Retrieved June 11, 2018, from http://firstround.com/review/doing-data-science-right-your-most-common-questions-answered/
- Taylor, D. (2014). Battle of the data science Venn diagrams. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from http://www.prooffreader.com/2016/09/battle-of-data-science-venn-diagrams.html
- Tierney, B. (2013, March 22). Type I and Type II data scientists. Oralytics Blog. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from http://www.oralytics.com/2013/03/type-i-and-type-ii-data-scientists.html.
- Wirth, R., & Hipp, J. (2000). CRISP-DM: Towards a standard process model for data mining. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on the Practical Applications of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (pp. 29–39).Google Scholar
- Wu, J. (1997). Statistics = data science? Inaugural lecture at university of michigan, Ann Arbor. Retrieved April 4, 2018, from https://www2.isye.gatech.edu/~jeffwu/presentations/datascience.pdf
- Zinkevich, M. (2018). Rules of machine learning: Best practices for ML engineering. Retrieved April 6, 2018, from https://developers.google.com/machine-learning/rules-of-ml/