Is It OSA or Depression or Both?
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and depression are common illnesses that frequently coexist in the same patient. Both can also be associated with several chronic, severe medical conditions including diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The symptoms of OSA and depression often overlap leading to frequent underdiagnosis of OSA patients who present to psychiatric clinics with symptoms of depression. Undiagnosed OSA in patients with depression can lead to poor outcomes and treatment failures. Clinicians need to be aware of the relationship between these two conditions since increased diagnostic accuracy can produce better outcomes for both conditions.
KeywordsSleep OSA Depression Apnea
- 1.American Sleep Assoc. (2018). Sleep Statistics – Research & Treatments | American Sleep Assoc. [online] Available at: https://www.sleepassociation.org/about-sleep/sleep-statistics/. Accessed 8 Apr 2018.
- 2.Mosko S, Zetin M, Glen S, Garber D, DeAntonio M, Sassin J, McAnich J, Warren S. Self-reported depressive symptomatology, mood ratings, and treatment outcome in sleep disorders patients. J Clin Psychol. 1989;45(1):51–60. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198901)45:1<51::aid-jclp2270450107>3.0.co;2-h.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Chen Y, Keller J, Kang J, Hsieh H Lin H. Obstructive sleep apnea and the subsequent risk of depressive disorder: a population-based follow-up study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.2652.
- 6.Kasasbeh E, Chi D, Krishnaswamy G. Inflammatory aspects of sleep apnea and their cardiovascular consequences. South Med J. 2006;99(1):58–67. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.smj.0000197705.99639.50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Somers VK, White DP, Amin R, Abrahan WT, Costa F, Culebras A, Daniels S, Floras JS, Hunt CE, Olson LJ, Pickering TG, Russell R, Woo M, Young T. Sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: an American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research Professional Education Committee, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke Council, and Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:686–717. https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.107.189420.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tantrakul V, Numthavaj P, Guilleminault C, McEvoy M, Panburana P, Khaing W, Attia J, Thakkinstian A. Performance of screening questionnaires for obstructive sleep apnea during pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med Rev. 2017;36:96–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2016.11.003.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar