Converging Shock Wave for Ignition of a Pre-compressed Target of Laser Thermonuclear Fusion
The formation of a convergent shock wave in a homogeneous spherical target is studied, the outer layer of which is heated by a flow of monoenergetic fast electrons with a given particle energy. The ablation pressure generating the wave is formed during the spherical expansion of the layer of the heated substance, the surface density of which remains constant throughout the heating process and is equal to the product of the initial warming depth and the initial density of the target. The investigations were performed on the basis of numerical calculations on a one-dimensional hydrodynamic program with reference to one of the most promising methods of ignition of a laser thermonuclear fusion target - the ignition of a pre-compressed target by a shock wave (shock ignition).
KeywordsGas dynamics Ablation pressure Convergent shock wave Laser thermonuclear fusion
The work was funded by Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 16-11-10174.
- 1.Shcherbakov, V.A.: Calculation of thermonuclear laser target ignition by focusing shock wave. Fiz. Plazmy 9(2), 409–411 (1983). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 2.Betti, R., Zhou, C.D., Anderson, K.S., Perkins, L.J., Theobald, W., Solodov, A.A.: Shock ignition of thermonuclear fuel with high areal density. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98(15), paper 155001 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Zmitrenko, N.V., Rahimly, O.R.: Convergence of a shock wave in the presence of energy release in the environment. Preprints of the Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics, vol. 55 (2016). (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.20948/prepr-2016-55
- 7.Gayfullin, S.A., et al.: A software package for calculating the equations of one-dimensional gas dynamics with thermal conductivity. In the book packages of application programs. Computational experiment, pp. 50–70. Nauka, Moscow (1983). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 9.Gus’kov, S.Yu., Zmitrenko, N.V., Rahimly, O.R.: A converging shock wave for ignition of a preliminarily compressed target of laser thermonuclear fusion. Preprints of the Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics, vol. 94 (2017). (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.20948/prepr-2017-94
- 10.Samarskiy, A.A., Popov, Yu.P.: Difference Methods for Solving Problems of Gas Dynamics. Nauka, Moscow (1992). (in Russian)Google Scholar