Data Requirements Elicitation in Big Data Warehousing
Due to the complex and dynamic nature of Supply Chains (SCs), companies require solutions that integrate their Big Data sets and allow Big Data Analytics, ensuring that proactive measures are taken, instead of reactive ones. This paper proposes a proof-of-concept of a Big Data Warehouse (BDW) being developed at a company of the automotive industry and contributes to the state-of-the-art with the data requirements elicitation methodology that was applied, due to the lack of existing approaches in literature. The proposed methodology integrates goal-driven, user-driven and data-driven approaches in the data requirements elicitation of a BDW, complementing these different organizational views in the identification of the relevant data for supporting the decision-making process.
KeywordsBig Data Big Data Warehouse Analytics Data Warehousing Hive Requirements Industry 4.0
This work is supported by COMPETE: POCI-01-0145- FEDER-007043 and FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the Project Scope: UID/CEC/00319/2013; by European Structural and Investment Funds in the FEDER component, through the Operational Competitiveness and Internationalization Programme (COMPETE 2020) [Project no 002814; Funding Reference: POCI-01-0247-FEDER-002814] and by the Doctoral scholarship PDE/BDE/114566/2016 funded by FCT, the Portuguese Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education, through national funds, and co-financed by the European Social Fund (ESF) through the Operational Programme for Human Capital (POCH).
- 1.Levi, D.S., Kaminsky, P., Levi, E.S.: Designing and Managing the Supply Chain: Concepts, Strategies, and Case Studies. McGraw-Hill, New York City (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Ponis, S.T., Ntalla, A.C.: Supply chain risk management frameworks and models: a review. Int. J. Supply Chain Manag. 5(4), 1–11 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Kimball, R.: The Data Warehouse Toolkit: Practical Techniques for Building Dimensional Data Warehouse, vol. 248, no. 4. Willey, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Santos, M.Y., Costa, C.: Data warehousing in big data: from multidimensional to tabular data models. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International C* Conference on Computer Science & Software Engineering, pp. 51–60 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Inmon, W.H.: Building the Data Warehouse. Wiley, Hoboken (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Golfarelli, M.: From user requirements to conceptual design in data warehouse design. IGI Global (2010)Google Scholar