Digital Economy Institutional Traps: A Regional-Sectoral Approach
The article presents the results of the authors’ research the subject of which are issues of the region fisheries industry development in a digital economy. The paper presents the main problems of entrepreneurship in the region, due to its exclave position. Those problems were the main deterrent on its way to a competitive position among the Baltic Sea countries.
The article is devoted to the analysis of the institutional space of the Kaliningrad region in the fisheries industry from the standpoint of the institutional traps theory. The study allowed the authors to identify existing institutional traps in the industry. There are institutional traps associated with the development subsidy model, with the format of the region as a special economic zone (SEZ), with the lack of small enterprises.
The authors of the article studied the issues related to the growing pressure of the digital economy and determined the regulating directions of the fisheries industry institutional traps in the Kaliningrad region.
The study offers the author’s view on a significant impact of the institutional traps in the fisheries sector of the region in the context of the global transformation of the country and the increasing pressure of universal digitalization.
KeywordsDigital economy Digitalization Fisheries industry Innovation Institutional traps Technology
- 1.Executive Order of the Government of the Russian Federation of 04.05.2005 N 536-p “On the draft federal law” On the Special Economic Zone in the Kaliningrad RegionGoogle Scholar
- 2.Information on the socio-economic development of the Kaliningrad region https://gov39.ru/economy/situation. Accessed 16 Oct 2018
- 3.Lesnykh VV (2007) Theoretical and methodological foundations of the institutional transformation of the defense industry. Ekaterinburg, p. 12Google Scholar
- 5.OECD (2009) Regions Matter: Economic recovery, innovation and sustainable growth. Publications, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 6.Katz R (2017) Social and Economic Impact. ITU, GSR-17 Discussion paperGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wei T, Liu Y (2018) Estimation of resource-specific technological change. Technol Forecast Soc Change, North-HollandGoogle Scholar
- 8.Perera-Tallo F (2017) Growing income inequality due to biased technological change. J Macroecon North-Holland, T 52:23–38Google Scholar
- 9.Apa R et al (2018) Resource to the European regions. Res Policy North-Holland, 47(9):1700–1712Google Scholar
- 12.World Bank (2018) Competition in the digital age: Strategic challenges for the Russian Federation. September, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 13.World Bank. World Development Report (2016) Digital Dividends. Overview. World Bank, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rosstat (2018) Regions of Russia. Socio-economic indicators. Stat Sat MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 15.Kaliningrad region in numbers (2017) Statistical compilation in 2 tons./ Territorial body of the Federal State Statistics Service of the Kaliningrad region (Kaliningradstat). Kaliningrad, T. 2Google Scholar
- 16.Alikhanov: amendments to the law on the Kaliningrad SEZ will improve conditions for business in the region. TASS Electron Dan. http://tass.ru/ekonomika/4789404. Accessed 06 Oct 2018
- 17.Kaliningradskaya Pravda (2014) Resolution of the Government of the Kaliningrad region of 04.02.2014 No 40 (as amended on July 25, 2016) On the State program of the Kaliningrad region “Development of the fisheries industry”. (insert paper “Official Gazette of the Government of the Kaliningrad Region”), No 23, 11.02.2014Google Scholar
- 18.Bunatyan GZ (2005) Kaliningrad region: new challenges, new chances. Mechanisms for the development of a unique region: monograph. Foundation “ARER”. KaliningradGoogle Scholar
- 19.National report on innovations in Russia-2017. JSC “PBK”. http://www.rvc.ru/upload/iblock/c64/RVK_innovation_2017.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2018
- 20.Vinokurov EY (2007) Theory of enclaves. Terra Baltic, KaliningradGoogle Scholar
- 21.Meeting of the legislation of the Russian Federation (2017) Order of the Government of the Russian Federation of 28 July 2017 N 1632-p “On approval of the program Digital economy of the Russian Federation”, 07 Aug 2017, N 32, Article 5138Google Scholar