Vascular Effects of Progestogens
Epidemiological, experimental, and biologic plausibility support a cardioprotective effect of estrogens in women. Indeed, women are protected until the menopause from the development of coronary artery disease and lag behind men in the incidence of myocardial infarction and sudden death by 20 years. Estradiol (E2) is implicated in this protective effect since at any age postmenopausal women have a greater cardiovascular risk than premenopausal and oophorectomized women not taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Our knowledge regarding the vascular effects of progestogens mainly originates from studies using HRT. Progestogen effects, which are summarized in this review, were assessed according to clinical endpoints, metabolic effects, and influence on vascular markers in vitro or in vivo, respectively.
KeywordsHormone therapy Cardiovascular protection Progestogens Vascular biochemical markers
- 8.Venetkoski MM, Savolainen-Peltonen HM, Rahkola-Soisalo PK, Hoti F, Vattulainen P, Gissler MVJ, Ylikorkala O, Mikkola TS. Increased cardiac and stroke death risk in the first year after discontinuation of postmenopausal hormone therapy. Menopause. 2017;25(4):375. https://doi.org/10.1097/GME.0000000000001023.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ramírez-Rosas MB, Cobos-Puc LE, Sánchez-López A, Gutiérrez-Lara EJ, Centurión D. Pharmacological characterization of the mechanisms involved in the vasorelaxation induced by progesterone and 17β-estradiol on isolated canine basilar and internal carotid arteries. Steroids. 2014;89:33–40.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Simoncini T, Caruso A, Girett MS, Scorticati C, Fu X-D, Garibaldi S, Baldacci C, Mannella P, Fornari L, Genazzani A. Effects of dydrogesterone and of its stable metabolite 20-alpha-dihydrodydrogesterone, on nitric oxide synthesis in human endothelial cells. Fertil Steril. 2006;86(Suppl 3):1235–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Freudenberger T, Deenen R, Kretschmer I, Zimmermann A, Seiler LF, Mayer P, Heim HK, Köhrer K, Fischer JW. Synthetic gestagens exert differential effects on arterial thrombosis and aortic gene expression in ovariectomized apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Br J Pharmacol. 2014;171:5032–48.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 38.Imthurn B, Rosselli M, Jaeger AW, Keller PJ, Dubey RK. Differential effects of hormone-replacement therapy on endogenous nitric oxide (nitrite/nitrate) levels in postmenopausal women substituted with 17 beta-estradiol valerate and cyproterone acetate or medroxyprogesterone acetate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997;82:388–94.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.Mueck AO, Ruan X, Seeger H, Hanke H. Vasodilative potency induced with Estradiol in women with and without CAD during standardized stress:- two paralyzed, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over studies. 18th World Congress of Gynecological Endocrinology, Florence (Italy), March 7th-10th 2018, Abstract ID 6616.Google Scholar