The Mediterranean Dialogue Earth Observatory’s Data Pipeline and Current Developments
MDEO, or The Mediterranean Dialogue Earth Observatory, is a NATO for peace sponsored project fully deployed in the faculty of sciences in Tangier, Morocco. It consists mainly of a ground station connected to a cluster in LIST (Laboratory of Informatics, Systems, and Telecommunications). The objective of this initiative is to ensure reliable weather and pollution monitoring and help us better understand and warn against environmental disasters using a wide range of spatiotemporal variables, applying varying techniques from remote sensing to data science and making use of the Big environmental data it receives from multiple satellites in real/near-real time. In this paper, we present a complete overview of the MDEO project and its connected entities, we describe the data processes and components of the full pipeline, and finally, we evaluate some of the current developments and use cases of the data MDEO provides to infer pollution and visualise measurements in Morocco.
KeywordsMDEO EUMETSAT EUMETCAST Pollution Environmental modelling Remote sensing
The authors are thankful to the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and the National Centre for Scientific and Technical Research (CNRST) for funding this study, under the project: PPR/2015/7.
- 2.Munro, R., et al.: GOME-2 on MetOp. In: Proceedings of the 2006 EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, Helsinki, Finland, vol. 1216 2006Google Scholar
- 3.Aminou, D.M.A.: MSG’s SEVIRI instrument. ESA Bull. 111, 15–17 (2002) (0376-4265)Google Scholar
- 4.Schmetz, J., et al.: An introduction to Meteosat second generation (MSG). Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 83(7), 977–992 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Munro, R., et al.: GOME-2 on MetOp. In: Proceedings of the 2006 EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, Helsinki, Finland, vol. 1216, 2006Google Scholar
- 6.Gaertner, V.K., Koenig. M.: EUMETCast: the meteorological data dissemination service. In: AGU Spring Meeting Abstracts, 2006Google Scholar
- 7.El Amrani, C., et al.: System architecture of the Mediterranean Dialogue Earth Observatory. In: 2013 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), IEEE, 2013Google Scholar