Though a subset of the variety of transitional justice mechanisms from which post-conflict and post-authoritarian countries select, truth commissions are a diverse set of bodies. Throughout this book, I argue that certain characteristics are associated with legitimacy and therefore contribute to better outcomes regarding human rights and violence in the societies where they exist. Based on my analysis, the authority of a truth commission is the most consistently tied to positive outcomes. This chapter summarizes the findings and implications of the project before concluding with an analysis of The Commission for the Clarification of Truth, Coexistence, and Non-Repetition in Colombia.
KeywordsTransitional justice Truth commission Colombia Human rights Violence
- Alsema, Adriaan. 2017. Colombia Creates Historic Truth Commission. Colombia Reports [Online]. https://colombiareports.com/colombia-creates-historic-truth-commission/.
- Cobb, Julia Symmes. 2018. Colombia Truth Commission Starts Work to Give War Victims Answers. Reuters [Online]. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-colombia-peace/colombia-truth-commission-starts-work-to-give-war-victims-answers-idUSKBN1I92NV.
- Colombian Peace Agreement. Signed November 24, 2016 [Online]. Available in Spanish and English at: http://www.altocomisionadoparalapaz.gov.co/herramientas/Paginas/Todo-lo-que-necesita-saber-sobre-el-proceso-de-paz.aspx.
- Gibson, James L. 2004a. Overcoming Apartheid: Can Truth Reconcile a Divided Nation? New York: Russell Sage Foundation.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009a. On Legitimacy Theory and the Effectiveness of Truth Commissions. Law and Contemporary Problems 72: 123.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009b. Group-Conflict Resolution: Sources of Resistance to Reconciliation: On Legitimacy Theory and the Effectiveness of Truth Commissions. Law and Contemporary Problems 72: 123–271.Google Scholar
- International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ). 2018. Colombia [Online]. https://www.ictj.org/our-work/regions-and-countries/colombia.
- Kroc Institute. 2018. State of Implementation of the Colombia Peace Agreement December 2016–May 2018. Bogota, Colombia [Online]. https://kroc.nd.edu/assets/288008/180830_english_policy_report_2.pdf.
- Telesur. 2018. FARC Leaders: Colombia’s Peace Agreement Has Been ‘Betrayed’ [Online]. https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/FARC-Leaders-Colombias-Peace-Agreement-Has-Been-Betrayed-20181002-0001.html.
- United States Department of State. 2017. Colombia. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2017 [Online]. https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/.