Path to Shopper Delight
Some aspects of the shopper brain and vision capabilities will remain to drive how shoppers perceive the variety and complexity of assortments in the future. However, the growing role of digital impacts upon the way shoppers search, select and pay for products. Berkhout discusses six trends that impact retailer decisions on assortment and merchandising and advises how they can prepare themselves: Incorporate new technology, integration of merchandising and assortment decisions, new functions, internationalisation, measurement of shopper emotions and voice-based search and assistance. This should lead to more delight for shoppers and fun at work!
- Brynjolfsson, E., Hitt, L., & Kim, H. (2011). Strength in Numbers: How Does Data-Driven Decision-Making Affect Firm Performance? [Online]. Retrieved July 4, 2018, from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1819486.
- Canalys. (July 10, 2018). Bret Kinsella. [Online]. Retrieved July 18, 2018, from https://voicebot.ai/2018/07/10/smart-speakers-to-reach-100-million-installed-base-worldwide-in-2018-google-to-catch-amazon-by-2022/.
- Deloitte. (2016). The New Digital Divide, the Future of Digital Influence in Retail. [Online]. Retrieved July 29, 2018, from https://www2.deloitte.com/insights/us/en/industry/retail-distribution/digital-divide-changing-consumer-behavior.html.
- Deloitte. (2018). Global Powers of Retailing 2018. Transformative Change, Reinvigorated Commerce. [Online]. Retrieved July 29, 2018, from https://www2.deloitte.com/insights/us/en/industry/dcom/global-powers-of-retailing.html.
- Dolan, P. (2014). Happiness by Design, Finding Pleasure and Purpose in Everyday Life. Penguin Group.Google Scholar
- Tomkins. [Online]. Retrieved August 4, 2018., from http://www.tomkins.org/.
- Van Nierop, E., Fok, D., & Franses, P. H. (2006). Interaction Between Shelf Layout and Marketing Effectiveness and Its Impact on Optimizing Shelf Arrangements. Erasmus Research Institute of Management, ERS-2006-013-MKT.Google Scholar