A Study of User Experience in Knowledge-Based QA Chatbot Design
A chatbot is a computer program which can interact with humans through natural language. In this paper, we introduced Jiao Xiao Tong, an interactive question answering chatbot designed in assisting students and faculties in Shanghai Jiao Tong University to accomplish various campus activities such as setting remainders, answering school trivia questions, route navigation and etc. A two-part experiment was conducted to evaluate two aspects of chatbot user experience. The results show an 6.7% increase in user satisfaction rate using the chatbot in route navigation tasks and interests towards a more interactive approach. The study also suggests that users expect action cues when interacting with a chatbot. In this paper, we described a solution of knowledge-based QA chatbot design in a university context and discussed what level of optimizations was achieved and what remains to be done. This pilot study provides opportunities for further improvement on chatbots design and application.
KeywordsUser experience Chatbot Question answering KBQA
- 1.Quarteroni, S., Manandhar, S.: A chatbot-based interactive question answering system. Deca-log 83 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Mervin, R.: An overview of question answering system. Int. J. Res. Adv. Technol. (IJRATE) 1 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Hobbs, J.R.: From question-answering to information-seeking dialogs (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ghose, S., Barua, J.J.: Toward the implementation of a topic specific dialogue based natural language chatbot as an undergraduate advisor. In: 2013 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV). IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Xiao, J., Stasko, J., Catrambone, R.: Embodied conversational agents as a UI paradigm: a framework for evaluation. Embodied conversational agents-let’s specify and evaluate them (2002)Google Scholar